New injectors?

My 1997 motor recently hit 200k miles. At some point down the road it will die and I'll put a stroker in it, but for now I'd like a little better performance.

With that in mind, I got to thinking that my injectors have probably never been changed. How can I tell if they need changing and if they do, does anyone have recommendations on upgraded replacements?

Well it would ultimately depend on what size and style they are now? You said 1997 Engine but that does not tell me what it is in...

If the engine is losing power because of wear and tear then an injector upgrade is not going to really help you much and will likely just cost you more wasted fuel...

There are a few over the counter Rebuilt injectors (more like reconditioned injectors) that have the multi hole orface which is better for misting the fuel instead of squirting it and will keep the same volume and psi...

I would say get the part number of your current injector and then it can be easier to assist you in the right direction...

There is a thread here on CC that involved exactly what your looking for I just do not remember who it was and he got his injectors from Ebay...

This is where I got mine from and probably half the crowd here did too.

Work GREAT!!

My front injector was completely plugged only running on 5 cyl.

http://www.precisionautoinjectors.com/c ... tegoryId=3

Anthony

I saw them earlier and saw on some other threads that some others had recommended them, so I went ahead and ordered them. Thanks for your input.

Even if it only gives me a slight 1-2 mpg increase, it will pay for itself over the next year in mileage savings alone. Plus a best idle and throttle response would be better too. I can't imagine not seeing any difference since mine motor has so many miles on it.

Work GREAT!!

Anthony

Yes that is One place but I would Never recommend them to anyone especially if you are Canadian... I have had first hand experience with them and Never again....

Once you know what vehicle to look up you can use this to find the part numbers and get your local Auto parts store to get you them in...

http://www.showmetheparts.com/autoline/#

As the engine wears it loses power and when it loses power your current injectors tend to dump more fuel then the engine uses which is why I said your not likley to see any gains, but if your current injectors are faulty then you will see a large gain and really untill you swap them out you will not know for sure either way...

Good luck and By all means do a pre test of your mileage before you swap them and after to see some real world numbers for others to gain from...

Work GREAT!!

Anthony

Yes that is One place but I would Never recommend them to anyone especially if you are Canadian... I have had first hand experience with them and Never again....

Once you know what vehicle to look up you can use this to find the part numbers and get your local Auto parts store to get you them in...

http://www.showmetheparts.com/autoline/#

Oh. well.... I'm not in Canada, so maybe I'll have better luck.

If your 97 motor has the stock injectors you will have the Mopar gray tops. These are the same ones I run in my stroker, at a bit higher pressure though. I would recommend staying with the 53030778 injectors as anything larger will just be wasting fuel.

Model Year, .....Part #, .....Colour, .....Fuel Pressure, ..Static Flow,

'87-'90, ........53003956, ...Black, ......39psi, ..........18.6lb/hr

'91-'93, ........33007127, ...Brown, ......39psi, ..........21.0lb/hr

'94-'95, ........53030343, ...Tan, ........39psi, ..........21.0lb/hr

'96-'99, ........53030778, ...Grey, .......49psi, ..........23.2lb/hr

'00-'01, ........04854181, ...Blue tip, ...49psi, ..........22.5lb/hr

My 1997 motor recently hit 200k miles. At some point down the road it will die and I'll put a stroker in it, but for now I'd like a little better performance.

With that in mind, I got to thinking that my injectors have probably never been changed. How can I tell if they need changing and if they do, does anyone have recommendations on upgraded replacements?

Find a can of BG 44K and put it in your gas tank. You'll be happy.

Work GREAT!!

Anthony

Got mine from the same place. Shipped them immediately, they were well-packed and came with a note on how they flowed when tested.

I installed them today. It took about an hour or so. I probably could've done it quicker, but I spent some time cleaning up the injector ports on the intake (mine were pretty grungy). My old injectors weren't in great shape. One of them was likely plugged up and 2 others were questionable from looking at them.

I followed a write-up I found on a Jeep website and it was an easy swap. I did take the time to reset the ECM using this procedure:

Erase the “Adaptive Memory” stored inside the PCM and allow a new “Adaptive Memory” to be developed.

After performing this procedure the PCM will re-learn and store into Adaptive Memory your engines performance characteristics.

Please perform these steps exactly as they are written, in the order they are written. This will cause the adaptive memory in the PCM to be erased and cause the PCM to go into Fast Learn Mode adaptive mode.

Disconnect the battery terminals and touch them together for 30 seconds. (This is to discharge the PCM capacitors, which maintain the Adaptive Memory.)

Reconnect the Battery Cables

Turn Ignition Switch to the “On” position but DO NOT start the engine

Turn Headlight “On”

Turn Headlights “Off”

Turn Ignition Key “Off”

The PCM Adaptive memory has now been flashed, or erased from the PCM.

When you start the engine it will be running off a set of pre-programmed tables that come with the PCM from the factory.

When you get the engine up to operating temperature the PCM will start to collect data for the “Adaptive Memory”.

It ran a little rough for a minute or so, then smoothed out nicely. My Comanche has had a rattle in the driver's door at idle since I put new motor mounts in it. That rattle is gone now and the engine is idling much more smoothly. It also seems to have a little more power.

What is the year/model of your MJ?

Mine is a 1991 Eliminator, 4wd, 4.0L, auto.

Thanks. Add that to your signature. :cheers: I have never seen, or heard of, a procedure like this to erase the 1991 OBDI ECU memory and "learn" new settings so quickly. Do you mind revealing where this procedure came from? It doesn't make any sense for the 91. But I'd like to avoid the 100+ mile ECU "relearning" process in the future if this is valid.

What is the year/model of your MJ?

Mine is a 1991 Eliminator, 4wd, 4.0L, auto.

Thanks. Add that to your signature. :cheers: I have never seen, or heard of, a procedure like this to erase the 1991 OBDI ECU memory and "learn" new settings so quickly. Do you mind revealing where this procedure came from? It doesn't make any sense for the 91. But I'd like to avoid the 100+ mile ECU "relearning" process in the future if this is valid.

Not sure if it does or not, Hornbrod. The writeup I referenced was here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/inje ... 0l-1224714

His was a 1995 Cherokee.

Jeepforum.com suggests that this would work for pre-1996:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/best ... cm-548305/

oh you can leave it at that, ive only heard good things about them. care to go into detail

oh you can leave it at that, ive only heard good things about them. care to go into detail

I Would not ever recommend them because They are Not Honest or just plain tried to take my money without ever giving me the product... Other Canadians have had Similar problems so I have to believe that they Just do not want to ship to Canada but rather then being honest about it they take our money then make us wait and wait and wait till we stir up enough trouble then they refund the money without a single explaination as to what or why they were making us wait...

For some reason or another some people Just do not want to ship outside thier own country and that Is fine with me But Just be honest about it...

If You are in the US I doubt you will have a problem with them other then the lack of good communication...