Gas gauge cluster switch to rom gauge cluster

What's up guys I have a 1988 white 2.5 4cyl 4x4 Comanche and Ive got a few questions about the switch from the big gas gauge cluster to the rpm gauge cluster... I've seen it on a few Cherokees at the junkyard and wondered if I were to switch the clusters what would I have to do to have the rpm gauge to work....would I have to set up a new wiring to it? Or does the original wire connectors be connected to the instrument gauge work?

Any helP would help tremendously!!!! Thanks guys!!!!! :help: :wrench: :cheers:

Ok awesome...ok since you said about the coolant temp sensor an the oil pressure sensor...how would I have to add the coolant temp and the oil pressure sensor? I know by buying the sensors needed but do they need rewiring? and for the computer to be adjusted to learn to what temp or pressure needed?

Or the computer has already learned the specs needed and just née them wired to the cluster?

Sorry for asking so much I want as mug detail as possibly can to do it right the first time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't ya need a cluster from a 4cyl for the tach to work right?? Otherwise I've seen a few threads about adjusting the tach so you can use a 6cyl cluster in a 4cyl.

if you want it to be plug and play yes.

but you can get one from a 6 cyl. if you dismantle the cluster and look on the tach there will be a little calibration nob with slot for a screwdriver... that is how you can adjust it. however getting it adjusted is up to you.

There is ABSOLUTELY no wiring changes needed as it is 100% plug and play installation for the sensors and the cluster itself but as said for the tach to be 100% correct a 4 Cyl Tach would be needed otherwise a calibration is in order..

:wrench: Adjusting the tach ; remove the clear plastic , remove the speedo to gain access to the adjuster pot screw on backside of tach , use a handheld tach for reference , turn screw to match RPM 's while running . Re-assemble and your done :thumbsup:

Ok thank guys...I'm pretty sure mine has the dummy lights but all I have to do is swap the sensors to the tach right? Just to be sure.... Thanks and I also have a friend that has an 89 4cyl 4x4 as well that's interested to swapping to the rpm tach a well...after reading this well both will be doing the project together I wish I had pics but I've gone rebel on the smartphones and digital cameras that I haven't got pics of my comanche when I first started

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't ya need a cluster from a 4cyl for the tach to work right?? Otherwise I've seen a few threads about adjusting the tach so you can use a 6cyl cluster in a 4cyl.

if you want it to be plug and play yes.

but you can get one from a 6 cyl. if you dismantle the cluster and look on the tach there will be a little calibration nob with slot for a screwdriver... that is how you can adjust it. however getting it adjusted is up to you.

However, the '84 thru '86 XJ tachometers do NOT have the adjustment, and '87 seems to have been a transition year on that. Also, the speedometer heads were different and the 84 - 86 (or 87?) will not work with the '88 speedometer cable.

For an '88, you really need a cluster out of an 88 thru 90 XJ (or MJ).