A few more 4x4 conversion questions (2.5/aw4)

Well I am still detemined to get this done, hopefully this year. Unfortunetely the truck seems to drain all my extra funds by acting up or needing work in one department or the other.

Originally I planned to convert the RWD auto (2.5L) to 4X4 manual (Still 2.5L) This meant finding a 2.5 4X4 manual donor. Not all that easy to find. Every 500$ Cherokee I come accross is 4.0

Anyway I have since decided to keep it simple keeping it auto, 2.5L and just converting to 4X4

I am considering two options for

1.) If I find a late 80'S to early 90'S 4.0L auto cherokee should the transfer case, tranny, and everything switch over? (Aside from the rear drive shaft which I will either use my current MJ one, or have the cherokee one lengthened) I believe the tranny was the same on the auto 2.5L and auto 4.0L

2.) The other option I am thinking of is finding a lower KM tranny and transfer case from the JY, and then putting a parts list together for the rest of the parts needed and not purchase a donor vehicle at all. This has the benifit of getting a better condition tranny and transfer case as well as not having an axleless carcass of a donar to deal with. This route is potentialy more money though. If anyone has a link with a parts list for this project it would be much appreciated.

Can anyone let me know if the 4.0L donor will be compatable for the swap. There is just so many more 4.0L cherokees out there for potential donors. Thanks

If you have a 2.5 with an auto trans then I think it should have 4.56 gears. If it does, its gonna be tough to find a donor with matching gears in the front.

As long as the bell housing matches up everything else should fit. Why are you against going to a 4.0?

Well to be honest it just comes down to money and effort. I am not the most knowledgeable with mechanics but a friend of mine with a comanche and also a member of this site is going to give me a hand with the conversion. It might be a bit much to tackle the engine swap now. My plan is to put a 4.0L HO in it when the 2.5L dies. Seeing as the the origional 2.5L only has 180,000KM on it it I kinda hope it will be a while.

I believe the auto in your truck with a 2.5 is the chrysler 3 speed. The trans behind a 4.0 is an AW4. I don't think they ever made a AW4 with the 2.5 bellhousing pattern. They put chrysler trannies in TJs, with the 2.5 L. I have a 91 YJ with a 2.5 and 5 speed, and 4.10 gears, 31" tires. I never use 5th gear, it's a dog. If I was doing your swap, I would get a 4.0 XJ donor, and put it all in at once.

I believe the auto in your truck with a 2.5 is the chrysler 3 speed. The trans behind a 4.0 is an AW4. I don't think they ever made a AW4 with the 2.5 bellhousing pattern. They put chrysler trannies in TJs, with the 2.5 L. I have a 91 YJ with a 2.5 and 5 speed, and 4.10 gears, 31" tires. I never use 5th gear, it's a dog. If I was doing your swap, I would get a 4.0 XJ donor, and put it all in at once.

The AW-4 has a bolt-on bellhousing, like a manual trans. It's not like most autos with the bell cast with the casing.

The truck is a 89, 2.5L Renix, auto, RWD, Sportruck model. I was pretty sure it has the AW-4 in it now, just the RWD version. I was thinking/hoping that the AW-4 4X4 version should bolt up. I will get under the truck after work and confirm which transmision I have. If anyone can confirm that the AW-4 will bolt on to both the 4.0L and 2.5L it would be much appreciated. When I searched what transmissions were used during this time on comanche's it appeared that the AW-4 was used for both.

The 2.5 and 4.0 AW4 trans bodies are identical, but the bellhousing and torque converter are different. We swapped a 4.0 AW4 into tjbliley's 2.5 MJ when we converted it to 4WD.

Depending on what year tranny you use for the swap you'll need a TC with the right spline count on the input shaft. Early AW4's, up to 90 (IIRC) were 21 spline, then switched to 23.

Jeff