Transmission upgrade

Something let loose inside the trans. was shifting a little hard ever since I had the master and slave issues. Lost 1st and 2nd. When ya put it in the 1st position the shifter just falls into the 2nd position. Anyway, the questions is what trans should I upgrade to? Any recommendations???

Your signature says soon to be 350. Do you have those parts already, or are you looking for something to just get you going right now. If you just need to get going again, another AX5 would be the easiest. If you want a trans that will work for you now and hold up to a 350 later, I would look for an AX15 or an NV3500 to adapt on with a Dakota 2.5 bellhousing. That will get you ready for later in your project and be a huge upgrade to boot. With the AX15 or NV3500 youll need to have your driveshaft shortened most likely as well, and you may also need the trans crossmmember for an AX15 if going that route. Good luck.

Not so sure I'm crazy about the shape its in. that shaft seems pretty rough. also looks like its been left outside for a while and not closed up on the top.

something to look into more I guess though.

Thanks for the link.

Is there anything I need to change on it being that it is from a 94 wrangler 4x4??

If you do find one from a 93-94 and up you will need to change the bearing plate for the throw-out bearing/internal/external slave.

I find them all the time searching for XJs but dismiss so I can't remember off hand where.........seems to be a 2X XJ being parted in your area.......maybe AZ?.

Check CL 500 miles out from you.

Also you can get your rebuilt for about $600-650 but you have to pay shipping unless you travel. I suspect a shop pull/rebuild/reinstall will run about $1800.

As far as anything recently posted I found one but its 4wd and it seems I need one from a 2wd so that won't work. Guess I may have to go the rebuild route. Anybody have a source for a decent rebuild kit for these things??

As far as anything recently posted I found one but its 4wd and it seems I need one from a 2wd so that won't work. Guess I may have to go the rebuild route. Anybody have a source for a decent rebuild kit for these things??

If you get the 4x4 with a cheap TC you can use it without hooking up the front and just leave it in 2wd for the rear shaft.

Will an ax5 from a 2.8 work in a 2.5? What needs to be changed?

The AX5 from a 2.8 will bolt right to a 2.5.... they have the same bellhousing. the only thing different might be the throwout bearing... the rest is the same. I have a 2.8 AX5 ready to go into my 2.5 truck. The 2.8 bellhousing will also be external slave. If you have an internal and want to keep it, youll need to swap bellhousings, or get an external slave setup.