Removing pinion nut.

Anybody notice in the Chilton manual Chapter 8, page 8-10 the pic on the bottom right hand side. Shows using a pair of slip joint pliers and 1/2 drive ratchet to loosen, remove the pinion nut. Has any body ever actually did this? I mean REALLY?

I was thinking the rear end in my '86 that went out was a Dana 35. BUt after tearing it apart came to the conclusion it might be a AMC 20. Was trying to confirm.

Anybody notice in the Chilton manual Chapter 8, page 8-10 the pic on the bottom right hand side. Shows using a pair of slip joint pliers and 1/2 drive ratchet to loosen, remove the pinion nut. Has any body ever actually did this? I mean REALLY?

I was thinking the rear end in my '86 that went out was a Dana 35. BUt after tearing it apart came to the conclusion it might be a AMC 20. Was trying to confirm.

Yes I have. I use a pipe wrench and an impact to remove it, and an extension pipe on my pipe wrench and a torque wrench or 3/4" drive breaker bar (sepending on whether the axle uses a crush sleeve or not) to tighten it.

I've had success removing the nut by holding the pinion yoke with a properly placed floor jack snugged up against it to keep it from spinnin. I still used an impact to remove it, and I install em with the impact, too, but its a sort of "feel for it" kind of thing making sure to not overtighten and kill the crush sleeve.

I do about 8 axles a week at our shop. We just take a cordless impact and hold the yoke with our hand and pop the pinion nuts off. We do everything from 2012 jk's with 100 miles to 89 cherokees with 300k plus. They all just come right off. Now going back on with a new crush sleeve is a different story. We use a very long ratchet and a big cheater bar with a factory tool on the yoke.