NP231 SYE

So when I got my AX15 it came with and NP231 and I just noticed that it has an SYE installed on it. So my question is, do I need to change the angle of my axle to be able to use the SYE? I know I have to change my drive shaft, any one know where I can get one? I have a short bed 4.0 BA10/5 NP231 soon to be AX15. Thanks for the help!

Yes. The slip yoke is designed to allow for in and out movement as the axle travels up and down, effectively making the length between the back of the trans and the pinion yoke closer and farther apart. You have to have something that can allow for the change in distance. If you have a sye, there is no slip yoke. Therefore, the length of the driveshaft has to allow for the difference. A sye requires a cv driveshaft.

Yes. The slip yoke is designed to allow for in and out movement as the axle travels up and down, effectively making the length between the back of the trans and the pinion yoke closer and farther apart. You have to have something that can allow for the change in distance. If you have a sye, there is no slip yoke. Therefore, the length of the driveshaft has to allow for the difference. A sye requires a cv driveshaft.

A CV shaft or a shaft with a slip joint?

I do believe that you don't need to have a CV joint on your driveshaft. You just need a flanged yoke on the driveshaft with a splined slip joint in the shaft. That way you can keep the pinion in its stock location and still maintain the benefits of the SYE in the t-case.

I believe the early YJ front shafts were like this. They didnt need a CV joint because the shafts were so long there just wasn't that severe of an angle to need a CV.

HTH

Ryan

MY np231 has a RE Hack N Tap SYE, It was on it when I got it. The drive shaft I had made does not have a CV joint on it, but does have a slip yoke. There are regular U-joints on both ends. From what I understand, CV joints are for vehicles with very steep drive lines, (like CJs) Comanche's don't typically have very steep drive line angles. Don't CV joints require more maintenance and such?

comanche.gif

what, like greasing..... just like your supose to do to a U-joint.

how big of lift, etc are you running? I'm around 7" and my axle was setup for a cv but running a reg shaft, so when i did the sye and 2 low i went for a cv to try smoothing out the ride. if you get curiouse about your angles, checkout this page.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavist ... ndex2.html

When I did the SYE on mine, I went with a CV joint. Not because of the angle, but because it raises my pinion a couple inches to try and keep it out of the rocks. But because I already had an extra CV joint from one of my spare front shafts, the cost to build my driveshaft wasn't anymore than a regular build.

Ryan

• 11 months later...

Hm, good idea...so out of curiousity, if I put a solid ds on an sye, something would probably get broken, right?

If your replacement DS does not have a way to lengthen and shorten depending upon flex, then you will most definately break something. If I had to guess, it would be the expensive aluminum housing on your transfer case.

Hm, good idea...so out of curiousity, if I put a solid ds on an sye, something would probably get broken, right?

There's no probably about it. You WILL break something, and it will be the most expensive part in the system.

That, and it would be nothing short of a miracle that the stupid thing would be the exact, perfect length you would need it to even bolt in.

Even though this thread is a year old I still have my .02 to give. i don't think you need a SYE because of the wheelbase. Why not take the input shaft from the new TC and put it in your original TC. Then no drive shaft modification is needed. There are several different input shafts so make sure its the right one. If not they are about $40-50 used.