Questions on a 2.5 water pump

I have a 89 Comanche 2.5 I need to change the water pump on. I was looking at it and it looks like I need to take the power steering bracket loose. Is this true? Also do I need to take the alternator off? Some pictures would be nice to see which bolts I need to take out.

Thanks for all the help

I have a 89 Comanche 2.5 I need to change the water pump on. I was looking at it and it looks like I need to take the power steering bracket loose. Is this true? Also do I need to take the alternator off? Some pictures would be nice to see which bolts I need to take out.

Thanks for all the help

I just changed my yesterday........will post you some pics tomorrow.

Image Not Found

Remove the 4 nuts that hold the fan on, remove pulley. You will see 4 bolts that attach pump to block. Two bolts that attach PS bracket to WP.

Image Not Found

Behind the belt here there is one long bolt that attached bracket to intake, behind the pump there is a short bolt that attaches bracket to intake. Loosen the PS pump, one bolt in front as shown, two bolts in rear of pump must be taken out to swing pump out of the way to get to the short bracket-to-intake bolt. I removed my bracket all together to clean and paint but I would imagine you can just loosen the bracket enough to pull the WP out and off the block.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Know that these pumps come in both rotations, CW and CCW, This application calls for the XXX-1060.........not the 1070!

Also note that some have the heater hose nipple incorporated into the housing of the pump and some require a 3/8NPT nipple that is not supplied, short nipple.

I wire wheel and clean my mating surfaces and use Permatex2 for water applications.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Image Not Found

Remove the 4 nuts that hold the fan on, remove pulley. You will see 4 bolts that attach pump to block. Two bolts that attach PS bracket to WP.

Image Not Found

Behind the belt here there is one long bolt that attached bracket to intake, behind the pump there is a short bolt that attaches bracket to intake. Loosen the PS pump, one bolt in front as shown, two bolts in rear of pump must be taken out to swing pump out of the way to get to the short bracket-to-intake bolt. I removed my bracket all together to clean and paint but I would imagine you can just loosen the bracket enough to pull the WP out and off the block.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Know that these pumps come in both rotations, CW and CCW, This application calls for the XXX-1060.........not the 1070!

Also note that some have the heater hose nipple incorporated into the housing of the pump and some require a 3/8NPT nipple that is not supplied, short nipple.

I wire wheel and clean my mating surfaces and use Permatex2 for water applications.

It's been a little bit, but I think your part numbers are backwards. Vee belt and serpentine with the grooves on the pulley are clockwise. Smooth serpentine belt pulley (like this one) is counterclockwise. This is true for all engines unless the motor runs in reverse (none of the Jeep motors do).