new plugs, wires, and backfires

my brake booster and master cylinder came in today so i made a trip to the auto parts store for some fluid, cleaner, booster vacuum hose, etc. and figured id get some plugs and wires while I'm at it since its been missing the past couple days. i changed all the plugs and wires, went to start it up and it was still going rough. then i noticed i was looking at the diagram for the wrong model year. (had the diagram out because i couldnt see the number on the cap and i don't do my wires one by one. why? beats me :nuts: )

so i got the wires correct and went to fire up, and got nothing but backfires up through the throttle body :hmm: :dunno:

double, triple, quadruple, and quintuple checked the wires and firing order, etc.

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Distributor is probably not set to number one cylinder and the last person probably put them on where it worked, set it on top dead center and see where the rotor button points. It should point to the number one cylinder.

well i guess ill have to give that a try. its my only option at the moment but ill do it another day. Tonight ill skip to the end and "take a beer" :cheers:

i guess i should get a new distributor too?

also, thought this was funny, but at the same time, made this whole thing an even bigger headache. the manual shows a diagram...it says firing order: 4-3-2-1

also says: distributor rotation: clockwise

looking at the diagram, starting with #1, going around clockwise, order goes 1-2-3-4

the book contradicts itself :fs1: :roll: :no: :mad: :redX: :nuts: :???: :shake: :huh???: :dunno: :doh: :wall: :fs2: :hmm: :thwak:

i thought so too...but i was looking at the wrong year. according to my manual (and we all know how accurate those are :roll: ) 1984-1988 2.5's had a 4-3-2-1 firing order and 1989-1996 2.5's had the 1-3-4-2 firing order

tried that way and a few other ways last night. just kept getting backfires. this morning though i went to take my dog out and decided to give it another shot with the 1-3-4-2 so i popped the hood, plugged em in and she started up. still runs really rough though and backfires through the exhaust. i just don't get why the manual's gonna tell you 4-3-2-1 and then show 1-2-3-4 in the picture :huh???:

The 2.5 NEVER had a 4-3-2-1 firing order. I do not know of ANY 4 cylinder that has the firing order. The internals of the engine make that firing order impossible.

The 2.5's firing order is 1-3-4-2, regardless of year. It should even be cast into the manifold itself, so you can check when installing wires.

i always thought it was 1-3-4-2 ...thats why i was stumped when the book said otherwise. completely forgot it was stamped on the manifold lol

airspeed: my original thought was a valve staying open when it shouldnt. its not backfiring anymore...just running extremely rough. i think running on only 3. hard to say, i don't want it running in this condition so i havent really listened to it. everyone ive talked to says check the timing but it came on so suddenly and i don't drive this truck. i doubt the timing would just throw itself off like that. and not to mention i seafoamed it right before it started running rough. probably got a bunch of gunk stuck on the valves in the process of burning everything out of it...thats my guess

it is a Chilton's manual. Here's a clearer pic taken from my dads phone rather than my own

even the 2.8L showed a firing order of 1-2-3-4-5-6 :nuts:

the only picture that seemed right was the 5.2l and even then i wouldnt trust this book. i suppose i should burn it :popcorn:

I'm going to check the timing...probably on wednesday since i work both of my jobs both tomorrow and tuesday. if that doesnt help, it seems ill be pulling the head :headpop:

it just sucks that i finally rounded up my brake parts and am just about ready for some tags....then this happens. plus i hate to do this kind of work when I'm planning a swap in the future. BUT! -- thats the beauty of the jeep curse i guess

a leak down test will tell me where the leak is (if there is one)

is there any point in doing a compression test if i do a leak test? or will the compression test just tell me what i already know from the leak down?

okay, thats what i thought

oh and i know pulling the head isnt difficult, I'm just afraid of what i might find. this truck has 276,500mi. on it and ive probably only put about 50 of em on...and have no info on its history