99 WJ

Got one for the later model WJ gurus. This morning I went to look at a 1999 WJ. Fella said it had a bad motor in it. I thought it might make a good donor. For $500 I wasn't expecting much. Tried to start it. Been sitting for a couple months, Battery was dead. Brought another car around to jump it. I got out, key was left in the on position. Shut the door. Went to get back in and the door was locked. No more keys. I couldn't load it with the steering and transmission locked so I passed. Suggested the guy call the dealer and see if it might have one of them sat lock opening things in it, or call a lock smith. Could have busted a window as I have extras but didn't want to commit that far without hearing it, or trying to. Not sure but think the doors locked when we hooked the jumper to it.

Question. Why did the doors lock?

In that situation what is the best way to gain entrance?

take the vin number and proof of ownership to the dealership, and have them cut a key just to open the door. it won't cost too much just for a non chpped key blank and then youre in. if it has the skim key it won't start it, but it will get you in.

I think ALL WJs have the chip. In '99 there were only the Laredo and the Limited. I had a Laredo and it had a chip. If I could possibly have ordered it without it I would have, but there was no delete option.

Worst vehicle I ever owned.

take the vin number and proof of ownership to the dealership, and have them cut a key just to open the door. it won't cost too much just for a non chpped key blank and then youre in. if it has the skim key it won't start it, but it will get you in.

I think ALL WJs have the chip. In '99 there were only the Laredo and the Limited. I had a Laredo and it had a chip. If I could possibly have ordered it without it I would have, but there was no delete option.

Worst vehicle I ever owned.

Yep, all WJ's are chipped for the ignition... but blanks still work in all the doors just to unlock.