New to the site

countryjeep

Hey guys, I just wanted to say hi! I just bought a '87 MJ for $450 with title and all (the 2nd MJ I've ever owned; sold my original '88 Pioneer 2WD, so I'm not new to Comanche's :) ). Thing is, it must be an early '87, because it has all '86 parts; like, it has the small engine bay, old-style Comanche emblem, 3-speed A/C-Heat control module that turns off with the fan switch, etc. It kind of disappointed me to find this was the case considering what I have in mind for it, but hopefully you guys can help out.

Anyways, pics and details:

Dsc01133-small.jpg

Dsc01134-small.jpg

Dsc01135-small.jpg

Dsc01136-small.jpg

Dsc01137-small.jpg

Dsc01138-small.jpg

Right now, it has the 2.5L 4cyl with throttle-body injection. It hasn't been cranked in over a year, but it fired right up when we towed it back home (bad clutch, more details further down). Runs fine, good oil, but it has a blown head-gasket closer in towards the water jacket, because it's spewing water out of the rear of the block, but it's not seeping into the oil. Busted it even worse when I tried to tighten the exaust manifold more...but, I'm not too worried about it, since I have no intentions of keeping the motor.

It has the T-4 tranny, which is...different. For me, at least. Appears to shift fine, but the clutch is GONE. Non-existant. Total pedal-play. No resistance at all. Again, doesn't matter, since the tranny will be gone as well.

Haven't bothered to look at the rear axle, but more than likely it's a D35 non-c, as it's not the Metric Tonne package (as far as I know?). But it does have the overwhelmingly large driveshaft that could turn a Hummer axle with 44's no problem. :P

Now, my plans?

What I would love to do, though it would be harder since it's basically an '86 (tell that to the title and VIN-detailing), is a 4WD conversion with a 4.0L stroked to a 4.7L, '97+ front clip + fenders of a Cherokee (and in this case, inner front fender-wells as well), and a '97+ Cherokee dash. I saw someone do it on here, and that made me glad to know it IS possible, since really there is no physical changes from '84 to '01 in the Cherokee's interior (or Comanche) up against the firewall, as far as I knew.

Ok, now my questions at the moment...

When I take the front clip off, will the inner fender-wells come off with it, or are they basically welded to the frame? I'm going to have to have a stroked-4.0, as it's been my dream for a long time (lol), so I know I'll need to do something about the engine bay size; being the inner fender-wells, as I've heard.

And it looks like the dash is exactly the same as any other '84-'96 Cherokee, so I'm assuming the entire assembly mount the same too, implying the firewall is the same. So, in theory, a '97+ dash should be able to be modified into a '86 interior?

Help would be GREATLY appreciated, because I'm eager to start on this project. I got my first MJ when I was 14, then sold it just 6 months before turning 16 and getting my license...I sure had alot of fun with it when I had my permit, but times were changing, and I needed a passenger car. But over time, I finally got up enough money to be able to support more than just one vehicle, so I began to search for another MJ (as my old one is somewhere out of this state), and found this, just under a week ago! Hopefully I can do what I want with this one. I'll be turning 17 this year. 8)

Welcome Country.

The inner fenders are welded to both the uniframe and the firewall as they are a structeral assembly. With a whole lot of drilling you can remove the spot welds and actually make the front section of them bolt-in/out, but I really doubt it would help you much. However, the early inner fenders have no issues to clear a later 4.0. It is the firewall that they changed. How much? I don't know; ask Eagle. But I'm sure one can still make a AMC 6er fit. The earlier rad support also has to be changed.

Welcome Country.

The inner fenders are welded to both the uniframe and the firewall as they are a structeral assembly. With a whole lot of drilling you can remove the spot welds and actually make the front section of them bolt-in/out, but I really doubt it would help you much. However, the early inner fenders have no issues to clear a later 4.0. It is the firewall that they changed. How much? I don't know; ask Eagle. But I'm sure one can still make a AMC 6er fit. The earlier rad support also has to be changed.

Thanks for the info. If there ends up being no way to fit a later-model 4.0 in, I might shoot for a 350 (provided THAT fits). Wiring it up to all the 97+ Cherokee electronics is what might be a problem for me. :)

:eek: never seen a MJ with blue interior

Pic of my Comanche's old interior. Part navy blue, part...camo. :)

And for the heck of it, a pic of my old Comanche:

100_0166-small.JPG

:cheers:

My 86 was built in oct 85 and I replaced the 2.5 with a 94 4.0 there was no issues with the firewall only the header panel and hood. Your trucks definetly not an 86 since it is a short bed. I think your engine bay should be the same as any 87 or newer mj. If you have any questions on the conversion let me know. Its interesting though that it has the 86 emblems and the 10 slot grill.

My 86 was built in oct 85 and I replaced the 2.5 with a 94 4.0 there was no issues with the firewall only the header panel and hood. Your trucks definetly not an 86 since it is a short bed. I think your engine bay should be the same as any 87 or newer mj. If you have any questions on the conversion let me know. Its interesting though that it has the 86 emblems and the 10 slot grill.

I sat my '96 XJ up next to the MJ to compare the two engine bays, and I see the difference in the radiator mounts now. I can't believe I never saw that before :P ...anyways, could you (or someone) detail me on what the problem was with the header panels? Also, I compared the hoods, and both were the exact same, just not how they are propped up. So, I must have the '87 hood...?

Nonetheless, cool, I got a mix-n-match '86-'87! Suhweet...now, if the '97+ front clip can mount to this MJ design, I'll be set to go I suppose. Already in the process of demanteling the dash...hehe.

Radio and AC/Heat control module removed:

Dsc01146-small_original.jpg

What was left of the fuses I pulled out of the fuse box. Almost every fuse had a cracked housing and powdered metal inside; absolutely rotted:

Dsc01150-small_original.jpg

Fuse box with the new fuses in, and a bad relay for the buzzer...doesn't work at all:

Dsc01151-small_original.jpg

A set of cables I found where the fog light switch would normally be. They used to be labled, but over time, they aged and either I can't read them, or they've come off the wires:

Dsc01153-small_original.jpg

Some very sad rewiring done at the tailights, making the reverse lights the brake lights, the brake lights the ambient lights, and...well, you get it:

Dsc01154-small_original.jpg

Dsc01155-small_original.jpg

The gash:

Dsc01156-small_original.jpg

What the crap!?:

Dsc01160-small_original.jpg

Taking apart the 'glove compartment trim', as I call it at least:

Dsc01165-small_original.jpg

Learning a little too late about the notch that keeps the passenger-side window defroster blower hose attached:

Dsc01168-small_original.jpg

And I'll stop at that... sorry for being a pic lady of the night, and sorry for the large-ish sized pics all on one post, guys! Just excited to have a chance to do all this for the first time, and gotta share a little bit of it... I guess once I get this project really moving, I'll set up a thread in the appropriate place. :popcorn:

The changes they made to the hood was to move the latches to the outside and use a dual latch setup.

The header panel can be modified to work, IIRC, it's just the useless fiberglass mounts that are different I think. I'm not sure, I have 86 fenders and a 2.5L (of unknown year) header panel on mine and it all worked after I drilled a few holes.

The problem with the header panel was the hood latch positions on my86 it had 1 latch in the center instead of 2 on either side if you have the newer hood you should not have to mod the header panel I also had to switch the radiator support you may want to check if that is the same as your xj as well. When I did the upgrade I replaced the complete wiring harness and dash and even the steering column. alot of connections was different and it made it easier. There was a thread about installing the newer style dash you might want to check it out.

... who on earth thought it would be a good idea to swap the brake and hoodpop latches?

wth?

and WOW... on the tail lights... did they plan on driving it again? or was it a hack and tap to mess with the next person to buy it? wth?

overall pretty decent lookin though. looks like you'll be the one to treat it right!

450 bux AND a free pack of mentos. What a sweet deal jamminz.gif

Your on yer way now. I'm interested in the front end swap!!

Hey, don't forget about the half-empty pack of Eclipse gum on the passenger floorboard!! :D

... who on earth thought it would be a good idea to swap the brake and hoodpop latches?

wth?

and WOW... on the tail lights... did they plan on driving it again? or was it a hack and tap to mess with the next person to buy it? wth?

overall pretty decent lookin though. looks like you'll be the one to treat it right!

I just hope now that I can find a parts '97+ Cherokee that's been rear-ended or has had a tree fall on the rear of it, something like that. Or at least the front clip & dash...I know where I can get a 4.0L HO, AW4 or AX15 (and if I go 4WD, NP231 & front D30).

Is that a Dakota bumper?

Good eye, it's a Dakota bumper. It was mounted pretty well, however, it doesn't allow the tailgate to open all the way... :headpop:

just noticed you're in AL, I'm in atlanta/west GA welcome to the area, my bro and i go wheelin out at morris mountain a bit, NICE park... some big friggin rocks back there.

http://www.morrismountainorv.com

Sweet. Unfortunatelly, Opp is in lower Alabama, about 100 miles to the closest beach (Ft. Walton) and about 20 to 30 miles to the Florida state line. But I used to live in Hiram, GA about 7 years ago. My family and I used to travel to certain state parks in GA and AL between Birmingham and Atlanta, just can't remember any of the names of them since I was about 8 years old. But I think I know where Morris Mountain is. Looks pretty hardcore... I'll have to check it out some more. Thanks for the link. :cheers: