Driveshaft yolk question

I had my driveshaft shortened and it seems to be about 1" too short now. :wall: I thought I read somewhere you could use a chevy truck yolk instead of the Jeep one and it will be longer. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I have a 242 transfer case and it's the rear output obviously. Thanks!

I don't have any pics of the shaft installed but here's the shafts after they got done.

I think it was my fault, I measured center to center of the U-Joint, maybe I used the old yolk before knowing that the splines from the ba/10 and the 242 were different lengths. I had a measurement written down on a sticky and before I left the shop I re-measured it. Spot on and unfortunately wrong for me.

Copied from my earlier post:

The 27-spline GM Turbo 350 yokes LIKE THIS ONE work fine too. They use the Spicer 1310 u-joints and you can get them up to 7" long and cut them off to whatever length you require. The inner yoke may require grinding though on driveshafts with a higher operating angle. I used one on my LWB to gain an extra 1-1/2". It's fully splined too. :D

• 7 months later...

In the random picture thread someone posted a longer yoke at 7.5" for a GM. Is this a Junkyard pullable part or only a part to be ordered?

Secondly is the one you've posted in this forum, 27 spline 8", compatible with a np231 in an 89?

i think i seen somthing one time saying that a wrangler yoke will work and is longer than an mj yoke.

It's only 5/8" longer.

If the OP's new shaft is only "about" an inch too short, I think I'd be more inclined to try the YJ yoke at 5/8" longer than the Chevy truck yoke at several inches longer. The Chevy yoke is likely long enough that it would be jammed all the way in and break something when the suspension compresses -- or else it's so long it won't go into the vehicle at all.

Are you guys aware skidoo replied to this topic with a last post of December last year?

Yes.

If the OP's new shaft is only "about" an inch too short, I think I'd be more inclined to try the YJ yoke at 5/8" longer than the Chevy truck yoke at several inches longer. The Chevy yoke is likely long enough that it would be jammed all the way in and break something when the suspension compresses -- or else it's so long it won't go into the vehicle at all.

That's why you machine it to the correct length. It's fully splined, so no problems.

Are you guys aware skidoo replied to this topic with a last post of December last year?

Correct. But I personally don't like when people always create a new thread only to be directed to a thread that is just a few weeks old that covers the exact question. So I simply asked for clarification as to the availability and compatibility of the recommended yoke, as the OP had a 242 and I was unsure if the 242 has same yoke output as the 231. And i've not found where anybody has actually posted what vehicle this longer yoke by gm is on. all the ones i've found on ebay are advertised as longer shafts for the gm, so what's the stock length of the yoke for said gm... I'd rather pull one from a junk yard at $5 vs 70.

I pulled mine and i currently have 2" inside the seal. I measured base to center of u-joint approx 5.25 I'm thinking if i had one that was 1/2" to 1" longer I'd be better off, so the wrangler yoke is an option, however i never see wrangler in the u-pull yards so they always want top dollar for parts