249 transfer case,,,enlighten me.

Yesterday I pulled a 249 TC out of a 1993 ZJ. Today I tried to install it into a 1997 ZJ. It wouldn't fit. Both 5.2, auto. A side by side comparison showed the '93 input shaft to be about a 1/2 inch longer. Surprise, surprise. I thought they were all the same. Will a '98 249 direct swap into the '97? Can the TC be disassembled and the shafts swapped? Any help appreciated. Jim

On a 231 pre 94 parts cannot generally be swapped into a 94 or newer case. This includes the input shaft. Don't know if the same goes for the 249.

I do know the viscous coupling in the 249 is known to go bad, and replacing it is prohibitively expensive. Most people just toss it and swap in a 242 from behind a 4.0 in it's place. AFAIK the input shafts between the 249 and 242 (and 231) interchange on like years.

But I don't own, and have never owned a ZJ. Just have two friends with one, a stock 93 5.2/249 and a lifted 98 4.0/242 now a 231 on 35s.

RE: "I do know the viscous coupling in the 249 is known to go bad, and replacing it is prohibitively expensive. Most people just toss it and swap in a 242..."

:agree:

If it were me, I would not use a 249 for this reason. Don't see the advantage, unless nearly free, and if prepared to do it again if/when it quits.

Yes, the viscous coupler is known to go bad and it cannot be repaired, it must be replaced. If I recall, there is a guy on e-bay selling them (new) for the cheapest price I've seen...and I think it's still around $265-$275 shipped. When the VC goes bad, the truck basically feels like it's in 4WD-Lo. Making tight turns and pulling into parking spaces gets interesting. It also feels like there is a constant drag on the vehicle - when you take your foot off the accelerator, it feels as if you've applied the brakes. It's also a great destroyer of gas mileage!

I replaced the 249 in my '98ZJ with a 242 from a '98XJ. Had to cut the output shaft down about 3/4" since it was a bit long.

Removed the input shafts to swap them. Guess what. Different gear cut. OK. I'll go with a 231. Nope. out of a couple dozen drive shafts don't have one that will fit and I don't feel like cutting and welding one. Got the grinder out, ground a little over 3/8 of an inch off the nose of the TC input shaft. Slap everything back together, perfect fit. Made a dozen figure 8'S in the snow and everything seems OK. We'll see. :wrench:

I'm gettin to old for this crap.

Removed the input shafts to swap them. Guess what. Different gear cut. OK. I'll go with a 231. Nope. out of a couple dozen drive shafts don't have one that will fit and I don't feel like cutting and welding one. Got the grinder out, ground a little over 3/8 of an inch off the nose of the TC input shaft. Slap everything back together, perfect fit. Made a dozen figure 8'S in the snow and everything seems OK. We'll see. :wrench:

I'm gettin to old for this crap.

I learn the same way Jim....sometimes the simplest solution really is the right one! :yes:

Glad you got it