Recommended Upgrades???

I finally got my mj running right. :wrench: (fuel pump, sending unit and o2 sensor, don't ask :doh: :wall: )

I have a Stock 86 mj with a 2.5 engine and a 4 speed transmission.

What upgrades are recommended. It will be a hunting and fishing and working truck. comanche.gif

No major mudding or flexing.

Brake upgrades. There are a number of threads around about upgrading the brake system using other stock parts. Everything from running a new booster, prop valve and disk brakes in the back. Brakes are a rather boring upgrade as you can't see that you invested time in them. However, being able to stop when needed without blowing out a brake line is well worth it in my mind.

If your truck doesn't have a full gauge cluster, locating one can be a good project/upgrade.

Still have the CAD assembly on the front axle? Lock it in place for sure time 4wd when the need presents itself.

Did you pull the carpet and inspect the floors? If not, you need to. Don't be surprised if there is a big hole under there in the floor pans. Not really an upgrade, but a safety issue.

Change the fluids and put some miles on her comanche.gif

Change the fluids and put some miles on her comanche.gif

Along those lines, I'd agree and recommend putting money into the "less glamorous" aspects: shocks, bushings, u-joints, ball joints, belts, hoses, mounts, swaybar links,... all the stuff that gets overlooked. But it is vital stuff often overlooked that really makes for a nicer driving experience. Rust prevention is always good to get a handle on. Quality tires can make a world of difference as well.

Also if you're using it for hunting/fishing, maybe some neat accessories for the bed? Some kind of storage organizer, a tonneau cover or cap depending on your preference. Maybe a hi-lift jack with the winch kit mounted in the bed to aid in recovery if you travel down muddy trails.

If your happy with the truck the way it is, why upgrade? I have a '87 MJ with the 2.5 and 4 speed and I am very satisfied with it's performance. 85 mph and 21 mpg. Just do your routine maintenance and enjoy it. As is. I did upgrade the idiot light cluster for a full gauge and installed a stereo but thats it.

I agree about brake upgrades. If youre not sure which ones we're talking about Ill list them below.

WJ or 96 XJ brake booster and master cylinder

WJ front disk brake conversion with WJ knuckles

removal of rear weight sensing valve with addition of XJ or ZJ or adjustable aftermarket proportioning valve

Another good upgrade for the 2.5 is removal of engine driven fan with addition of temp controlled electric fan... frees up a few horspower. I'm not sure if you have any emmisions inspections where youre at, but gutting and sleeving the cat converter (or outright removal of it) will help a little too. Some will say the 2.5 needs the backpressure it provides to run properly, but this has not been my experience. I also added a Flowmaster 50 series Muffler for a little bit of growl without being too loud. This gives the little 2.5 a bit more pep.

Like was said, better shocks will be good, a ZJ v8, or XJ country sway bar will help out. A ZJ V8 tie rod assy will help in the strength dept. WJ upper and lower front control arms will beef up front end strength too as well as add more clearance for bigger tires.

Your best upgrade would be to get 4:10 gearing though. If you keep the 4 speed, add 4:10 gears, and 31 or 32 inch tires, your speedo will be pretty close to correct ( this assuming your original was 3:55 geared).

Another great upgrade that would be good for your purposes would be a rear end upgrade to a dana 44, ford 8.8, or chrysler 8 1/4... get one with limited slip, or add a lunchbox locker, and youll be all set. I know the easiest would be to add a locker to your 35, but nobody really reccomends speding ANY money on a dana 35.