Four Wheel Campers

Does anyone use a poptop camper with their comanche? I have a 1986 XLS LB and was thinking of using a Four Wheel camper. I can't seem to find any info on what the payload capacity is for my truck. On the door jam it states "2700 lbs RA. The camper I'm looking at weighs only 800lbs. My plan is go over everything that needs rebuilt and fix her up better than new. Then take her down the Baja coast next year. I have a 4X4. Any help? Thanks...Dennis...

I've been looking at popup camper shells for the MJ for a couple of years. My biggest impediment is that my wife hates camping, so it wouldn't see enough use to justify the cost, but I think it would make a terrific rig. There are a couple of companies that make popups for the mini pickups.

I've been looking at popup camper shells for the MJ for a couple of years. My biggest impediment is that my wife hates camping, so it wouldn't see enough use to justify the cost, but I think it would make a terrific rig. There are a couple of companies that make popups for the mini pickups.

Is there one that makes a 7' slide in??

I have found 6' slide ins, for Toys, and Rangers/S-10's. The guy at the local camper place, said they don't make one anymore.

I found a 6 3/4' model for my short bed extended cab F-250, but its too wide to fit in an MJ.

Ohh, BTW, anyone that is interested in one of those 'adventure' campers. We went and looked at them. The wife thought it would match the Cherokee nicely. They are WAY OVERPRICED. It was almost 10k for a camper as nicely equipped as our 17' Starcraft.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I don't think the MJ "frame" was designed for a slide in. After I took the bed off, I realized how it was mounted(bolts right to the frame rails), I think It might be a lil hard on it. All I have to say is "it's not my Jeep so do it"

I looked at a Toy hauler the other week. Man are those expensive. IT was a 36" Gooseneck. It was nice, but the price was almost 30 grand. To be honest with you, I don't do that mucg wheeling to justify that expense.

Patrick

Here's another

http://www.phoenixcampers.com/specs.html

The Little Chief is for the longbed, the Wigwam is for the shortbed. The same sizes are available in the Coyote series -- I don't know if that's a step up or a step down.

A couple of years ago there was also a company that offered a basically unfinished version that would be good for those on a budget who don't mind not having all the amenities. It also saved a considerable amount of weight.

Personally I don't think the MJ "frame" was designed for a slide in. After I took the bed off, I realized how it was mounted(bolts right to the frame rails), I think It might be a lil hard on it. All I have to say is "it's not my Jeep so do it"

I looked at a Toy hauler the other week. Man are those expensive. IT was a 36" Gooseneck. It was nice, but the price was almost 30 grand. To be honest with you, I don't do that mucg wheeling to justify that expense.

Patrick

I've had over 2200 lbs of scrap in my Comanche before. Not a problem. Just got to start stopping early, and forget 5 gear.

I looked at "Taj-Ma-trailers", really nice but way too expensive for a camper. One of my neighbors traded a rather nice, flatbed race trailer, on one of those type of trailers. He said its really nice for race days. He had to pick-up a wreck his son bought. He had to borrow my trailer to get it, the wreck wouldn't fit inside the new trailer.