tranny and tc oil

The correct spec for an AX-15 is a GL-4 75w-90 gear lube. But since Chrysler doesn't want to carry a single spec fluid in their service inventory, they switched their recommendation to 10w-30. You just do not want to use a GL-5 fluid.

The NP 231 and 242 both use ATF.

The BA-10 uses any old 75w-90. Originally the spec was for a GL-3. But there aren't any GL-3's left. So you can use a GL-5.

So what will ATF do to the tranny? Is it something that can wait till the weekend to change or do I need to hook up a light after work tomorrow night and change it sooner? I bought 75w-90 GL-4/GL-5 (the only thing that said GL4) I just don't have any money for anything at the moment. When I can I will get some synchromesh if its better for the transmission.

Something about the brass synchros getting corroded and burning out. I wouldn't worry about incorrect fluid in the short term, but long term I would for sure want the right stuff in there. I noticed a marked improvement when I drained the crud from my tranny and put in synchromesh, though it didn't fix the things past repair so now I've got a spare AX-15 riding around in my bed waiting for a rebuild. I hate wasting fluids on unnecessary changes, but the price for the right stuff is cheap by comparison.

Some good info here, plenty more to be found from internet searching. http://www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm