89 Comanche 4x4 build - university budget

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

well it has been a while since i updated.

i wish i could get my lift! but right now I'm focused on school, kinda. and I'm lacking the funds necessary. the 70 dollars for the tank every 4 days isnt helping at all!

not to mention the 154 dollar speeding ticket :P

here's some pics

flushed the radiator, new coolant.

clean

looks like bad rust

took it out for a trip to stave lake and davis lake up in bc. furthest away from home shes been

buddys four runner

got the diff hung up on a root while at max flex! need lockers bigger tires and a lift :P

Image Not Found

davis lake

the water hole before this was 3 feet deep!! banged my bumper up bad from the drop off

lol

snowww

good fun

bumper

stave lake

lottsss of pictures. any comments?

• 3 weeks later...

so i havent got too much done lately. i have a tow reciever in my bumper now. I'm still waiting on my dad to move our bus so i can get the truck into the shop and weld my bumper up and start on the front. took it wheelin, got stuck at 11pm. have some pics ill post soon

fixed some little things, dash lights, clock, aux cable insatalled, radio works perfect now

waiting on my brother to put in his 8.8 then I'm stealing his 8.25 from his 98 cherokee!! then after chritmas comes the soa and 31s!!

so i havent got too much done lately. i have a tow reciever in my bumper now. I'm still waiting on my dad to move our bus so i can get the truck into the shop and weld my bumper up and start on the front. took it wheelin, got stuck at 11pm. have some pics ill post soon

fixed some little things, dash lights, clock, aux cable insatalled, radio works perfect now

waiting on my brother to put in his 8.8 then I'm stealing his 8.25 from his 98 cherokee!! then after chritmas comes the soa and 31s!!

Can't wait to see that new bumper! :brows: Lol, but that's a pretty nice ride you have there. :bowdown: It's got a nice clean look to it, and hardly any rust! You have no idea how much I wish my truck was rust free :fs1:

met a man in the shopping mall parking lot. 1991 long box 4.0L metric tonne 2wd comanche

chatted with him for a while hes a birck layer and its his work truck and he has owned it since brand new! apparently he has 3 other jeeps as well. body was perfect and it was in great shape, engine rebuilt and all.

i said if he ever wants to sell it let me know :cheers:

And i think you will all like this one

my brothers friends comanche

this thing is completely custom it has everything.

dana 44 front and rear, lockers, dual transfer cases, winch, on board air, train horn, bobbed bed, 4.5 stroker, rear winch, custom bumpers, 12" sub, bucket seats, dual leafs in the back, 9" lift, 33s and 36s on bead locks, list goes on.... it crawls

Ah, I recognize that truck, used to mine :D . Really glad you got it back on the road. I will be following the build, looks great so far. You and your old man wern't kidding when you said you knew a thing or two about jeeps. You recognize my truck yesterday at college? I got into my truck and looked over and low and behold, another comanche. I got to check hit out soon realized it was my old truck. Small world. Turned out my truck didn't have a shot motor after all. It was miss diagnosed. Needed a new air temp sensor and now it runs like a million bucks. I have my build on here as well, got a 2" lift and new tires. I also have a new hanson rear bumper that I have ordered that looks pretty sweet. Anyway glad to see you on here, keep up the pics!

:waving: where abouts in B.C. are you ? Truck looks like its coming along pretty good :thumbsup:

Vancouver/surrey! What about you? And thank you! jamminz.gif

You like like 30 minutes from me lol

I live just over the border in Bellingham Wa.

Ah, I recognize that truck, used to mine :D . Really glad you got it back on the road. I will be following the build, looks great so far. You and your old man wern't kidding when you said you knew a thing or two about jeeps. You recognize my truck yesterday at college? I got into my truck and looked over and low and behold, another comanche. I got to check hit out soon realized it was my old truck. Small world. Turned out my truck didn't have a shot motor after all. It was miss diagnosed. Needed a new air temp sensor and now it runs like a million bucks. I have my build on here as well, got a 2" lift and new tires. I also have a new hanson rear bumper that I have ordered that looks pretty sweet. Anyway glad to see you on here, keep up the pics!

Ah hello! Small world indeed! Yep it took a lot of work about a month and she was good to go! A lot of wrenching! Haha too funny I was just leaving and I saw it and parked beside it for fun went in to talk to my friends about how the exam went and came back out and you were gone! I was wondering if you had seen it or not. Oh that's good we never got the call about it so we assumed you fixed it. I saw the 2" spacers up front when I took a look at it, looks good! But still 2wd :( where's the link to your build? That's gonna look awesome! I gotta get going on mine. Will do!

:waving: where abouts in B.C. are you ? Truck looks like its coming along pretty good :thumbsup:

That's awesome! Know any good wheeling spots?

That's awesome! Know any good wheeling spots?

Not really lol

Kinda new to the whole wheeling thing

Yeah unfortunetlely it's not 4X4 yet... I took it up to Stave a few weekends ago and ripped around a bit but without the 4X4 it is pretty limited in the mud. I have been looking for a wrecked comanche 4X4 to use as a parts truck but no luck. I think buying an old 4X4 cherokee and doing the swap that way might be easier. If you're ever interested in doing a little side work at some point let me know, I would make it worth your while and I'm sure the two of us working on it could get it done relativly quick. I don't think it is that tough and there is plenty of write ups on this site for it. I just don't have the tools/know how to get the job done myself.

Also I see you put a new deck into your truck. Did you have to re wire it all to get it to work or was it an easy install? I am thinking of putting one in the next few weeks. Having only AM radio is killing me. It is news, sports or christmas songs.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32712 If it works here is the link to my thread. Not much yet but I'm working on it. When the new rear bumper arrives I will throw some more pics up. Wait time on those Hanson bumpers might be months though, hope to see it in January.

Yeah unfortunetlely it's not 4X4 yet... I took it up to Stave a few weekends ago and ripped around a bit but without the 4X4 it is pretty limited in the mud. I have been looking for a wrecked comanche 4X4 to use as a parts truck but no luck. I think buying an old 4X4 cherokee and doing the swap that way might be easier. If you're ever interested in doing a little side work at some point let me know, I would make it worth your while and I'm sure the two of us working on it could get it done relativly quick. I don't think it is that tough and there is plenty of write ups on this site for it. I just don't have the tools/know how to get the job done myself.

Also I see you put a new deck into your truck. Did you have to re wire it all to get it to work or was it an easy install? I am thinking of putting one in the next few weeks. Having only AM radio is killing me. It is news, sports or christmas songs.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32712 If it works here is the link to my thread. Not much yet but I'm working on it. When the new rear bumper arrives I will throw some more pics up. Wait time on those Hanson bumpers might be months though, hope to see it in January.

as you saw i the pics i took mine to stave as well, pretty fun, 4x4 definetly helps... the cherokee would be the way to go for the 4x4 swap for sure!! way easier. and yeah thats sounds good i have most of the tools to get it done and if you had a parts cherokee we could get it done in a day or two!! sounds good.

yep new deck amp and sub are in, bought a 10 dollar plug from best buy and sodered it together and then done! pretty simple. its a sick truck just needs 4x4!

Yeah Stave is pretty sweet. I hear it will be turned into a resovoir soon so unfortunetely our days are numbered there for wheeling. Seems like there are a good number of comanche owners within driving distance, we should should try and get some kind of a comanche meet going up there this summer.

Good to know about the CD player. I think that is what I'll be getting this Christmas from the girlfriend. I will start looking for a donor XJ over the next while and do a little research. The only real concern I have is that the rear drive shaft is longer on an MJ. I will have to figure out how to get the XJ one lengthened. Any progress on the new rear bumper your making? Thing looks solid.