Dana 44?

Depends on what you are willing/able to do in order to get it to fit. The only direct swap is from another MJ, otherwise you'll be looking at moving the perches and such at the very least (I believe this is true for the XJ). Other applications can require lengthening/shortening the housing so that gets real expensive. I've got no fabrication skills so if it were me, I'd be waiting for an MJ housing to show up (which is what I did). Not sure what your budget is, but you should plan to be able to replace all the brake hardware and seals if you're pulling from a junkyard, and maybe even the axles. You might get lucky and not have to deal with it, but be prepared. It's not the cheapest option. A later model form a low mileage XJ is a good alternative if you can move the perches and you pulled it in known working good condition.

US YJs may have only come with D35, but in Canada D44 was an option in '87/88 only.

Another fun tidbit: I parted a '66 Travelall (2wd) and it's rear D44 appears to be about the same width as MJ with the same bolt pattern (4x4 were 5 on 5.5)

US YJs may have only come with D35, but in Canada D44 was an option in '87/88 only.

Another fun tidbit: I parted a '66 Travelall (2wd) and it's rear D44 appears to be about the same width as MJ with the same bolt pattern (4x4 were 5 on 5.5)

FWIW MJs are 5 on 4.5