Muffler Question- Any help appreciated

my 88 has stock exhaust piping, 2.25" OD and I am buying a flowmaster 50, I know the smallest size flowmaster sells is 2.25 OD, but I know summit sells adapters, I'm on a budget and don't want to change pipe size, and i am not going to weld it. What I am wondering is if anyone here knows if I will need to order the adapters, and if so, what size? :???: Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks guys! comanche.gif

I am literally on my way out the door to grab a 2.25" ID adapter from Autozone. It's essentially just a short piece of tube. Be aware though, that they rust out pretty fast. stainless units and stainless clamps should be available on the internet.

If they sell a 2.25" and the pipes are 2.25" why do you need an adapter?

I thought the same thing until my dad explained to me that if the OD of the muffler is 2.25", and the OD of the pipe is 2.25" they won't fit into each other.

I am literally on my way out the door to grab a 2.25" ID adapter from Autozone. It's essentially just a short piece of tube. Be aware though, that they rust out pretty fast. stainless units and stainless clamps should be available on the internet.

Ah, thanks I'll try to find a stainless steel one.

If they sell a 2.25" and the pipes are 2.25" why do you need an adapter?

I thought the same thing until my dad explained to me that if the OD of the muffler is 2.25", and the OD of the pipe is 2.25" they won't fit into each other.

But muffler sizes are not specified by the OD of the muffler tube, they are specified by the OD of the exhaust pipe that fits in it.

In other words, a 2-1/4" muffler is made to accept 2-1/4" pipes. It does not mean that the OD of the muffler inlet and outlet are 2-1/4", it means that the ID is 2-1/4".

Yeah, the muffler *should* be sized to fit the tubing inside the flange.

If it's not,

an alternative to adapters can be a tailpipe expander,

I bought one from Harbor Freight a few weeks ago for ~$8,

but haven't had the chance to use it yet.

25 years ago I needed one for an engine swap, and rented a high quality tailpipe expander from a tool rental place,

it worked awesome, and I was able to stretch pipe sizes enough to overcome a problem like this without using adapters.

Hopefully the cheap HF expander will do the same the next time I need it.

Summit should list if the inlet/outlet is ID or OD. Figure out what your pipes are an adapt accordingly.

I'm not wild about band clamps in a butt-joint setup; the front-rear stress bothers me..... though I'm sure it's not a problem. However band clamps in a lap-joint are the tits.

I've been running a stainlesssteel band clamp on a butt joint under my 88 right in front of the muffler (ever since the cheapie autozone pipe rusted apart and dropped my muffler onto the highway back in like '99). has held up to DDing and wheeling just fine. :thumbsup:

I replaced my rattle can of the cat yesterday. The muffler is a new magnaflow stainless and I wanted to retain it but he PO used a standard clamp and compressed the joint and I had a hard time getting the old pipe out. Instead of trying to insert the new pipe into the muffler enough to reuse the clamp I decided to get a couple of the strap clamps.

I'm sold! These Easy Seal strap clamps are the s--t!