A few "floor" questions...

Hey all, finally got around to pulling my interior to fix my floor. I have a couple questions about what to do.

1) What size sheet metal should I use? I'm going to go down to the local hardware store and pick some up. I think I remember reading 16ga or 18ga?

2) I doubt I will be putting my insulation pad back in, what is the best alternative to use? Trying to stick to a cheap budget, but let me know what you used!

Crap... I thought I had a couple more questions, but can't think of them now! I'll probably post them later... Thanks guys!

My opinion is 18ga will be adequate for your floor. If you want it beefier 16ga should be fine. Its up to you.

For the padding, you can stick some dynamat or the aluminum backed roof flashing on the floor for soundproofing. Personally I wouldn't rely on just that. To replace the padding, maybe try a carpet store for some scraps of their carpet padding? That's all depending on how much heat and noise you want inside with you. Again, just my opinion so take it as is.

18 or 16 gauge should be fine. I would see what the thickness of the floor is first, because it's harder to weld different thicknesses. Probably wouldn't make much of a difference between 16 and 18 gauge though.

:wrench:

Excellent. Still unsure about the carpet padding and what to do. Hmm...

Also, I remembered my last question. The inner boot for the 5spd is torn to bits, will this replacement work? http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/parts/ ... /4630.html

I know it says for the I4 but I wasn't sure if that totally made sense... Any idea?

EDIT: Also, you can take off the bench seat covers and wash them correct? I know there is a zipper in the back but how to you get the end to come off since it seems to be trapped. Any idea? It is ok to wash them in a washing machine correct?

What is the best way to get the carpet clean? I thought about renting a Rug Doctor and trying that out. It doesn't have to be pristine but it definitely needs a good wash down.

best way to clean the carpet is to remove it and take it up to a do it your self car wash with the pressure sprayers, unless you have one.. just put some simple green, purple power, or your favorite cleaner on it scrub it a little then spray with high pressure sprayer..

as for the boot, is that the one that attaches to the hump to seal the shifter hole?

best way to clean the carpet is to remove it and take it up to a do it your self car wash with the pressure sprayers, unless you have one.. just put some simple green, purple power, or your favorite cleaner on it scrub it a little then spray with high pressure sprayer..

as for the boot, is that the one that attaches to the hump to seal the shifter hole?

Yes, that's the one I am talking about.

• 7 months later...

I'm on the downhill portion of my floor repair. I just cut up the hood from when our Dodge Ram was wrecked cuz of some tweakers that don't know what a red light means. It was plenty strong for the floor. I'm going to coat the floors with 2 coats of Chassis Saver, and just put my old carpet back in without the deadening. I didnt notice much difference in sound with and without the insulation. though for heat you may want some. Personally, if I decide i need insulation, I'm going with the aluminum backed roofing insulation. Self adheres with a tar/asphalt based adhesive and is water proof as well!

Also, I remembered my last question. The inner boot for the 5spd is torn to bits, will this replacement work? http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/parts/ ... /4630.html

I know it says for the I4 but I wasn't sure if that totally made sense... Any idea?

I had purchased the one from TeamCherokee. I turned out to be the wrong size. They wouldn't give me a refund.

On another thread here gave me the info for the proper inner boot for my MJ. It fits a 97+ TJ Wrangler. The MOPAR part #52078970AC.

Quadratec.com lists it on the website.

I bought at my Jeep dealer. It was a little more $$, but I didn't have to pay for shipping and if it was the wrong size, returns would be easier.

I did not have to return it, thankfully.