Possible passenger-side interior leak locations?

It's rainy season in Florida and it's been raining every day. Each day, almost an inch of water appears on the passenger-side floor.

Luckily I've already herculined the whole interior, but it's still a PITA to clean up every day. I've already replaced the entire door seal (including the single strip up top) -- what are some other areas I should look for? The headliner has not been showing signs of water.

Thanks! :cheers:

Since you've done the door seals (did you upgrade to the better GC seal?), and assuming door fits snugly,

the next place I suggest to consider is the windshield perimeter, particularly the lower corner. You didn't

say whether this leak appears even if the truck is just parked, so I'm assuming that's the case. Another

place to evaluate is behind the wheel well liner (take it off) where water channels from the cowl area. Next

place to consider are the various penetrations through the firewall but I think those are less likely to be

culprits. Alternatively, you could just remove the carpet and make some drain holes?

Where is FL are you? I'm in FL and still wishing for rain!

Since you've done the door seals (did you upgrade to the better GC seal?), and assuming door fits snugly,

the next place I suggest to consider is the windshield perimeter, particularly the lower corner. You didn't

say whether this leak appears even if the truck is just parked, so I'm assuming that's the case. Another

place to evaluate is behind the wheel well liner (take it off) where water channels from the cowl area. Next

place to consider are the various penetrations through the firewall but I think those are less likely to be

culprits. Alternatively, you could just remove the carpet and make some drain holes?

Where is FL are you? I'm in FL and still wishing for rain!

I found some seals off an 01 in the junkyard (the seals were in amazingly good condition). I'd rather not drop any more money on better seals. I'll check the windshield corner; I do seem to remember that it has a gap in it on that side (didn't check the driver's side for comparison though).

The hood also has a ton of leaves and crap jammed in the gaps near it, so maybe water is pooling there and soaking in faster. Now that the rain is gone, I'll be sure to post back here. Also, I live in Tampa ;)

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions! I'll check this stuff and use some baby powder and a hose.

I had leak from the seam in the rain gutter - is that the correct term? The seam where the roof and the body are joined - behind the door.

I am in Tarpon Springs Florida :cheers: . One of the local clubs is having a social this Friday at the Beef O'Brady's in Land O'Lakes on SR 54 (8pm). The Beef's is 1 mile west of HYW 41 in the Publix shopping center. I would love to see another MJ from the area. - Rich

I had leak from the seam in the rain gutter - is that the correct term? The seam where the roof and the body are joined - behind the door.

I am in Tarpon Springs Florida :cheers: . One of the local clubs is having a social this Friday at the Beef O'Brady's in Land O'Lakes on SR 54 (8pm). The Beef's is 1 mile west of HYW 41 in the Publix shopping center. I would love to see another MJ from the area. - Rich

Actually, there is a small crack I can see in the passenger gutter with a bit of rust -- was gonna seal it with some bondo. I assumed it wasn't that because the headliner (before I removed it anyway) didn't show any signs of water damage. But maybe it did and I don't remember (I have since ripped the cloth off it).

The meetup sounds like fun, but I've got a bunch of school stuff to do -- I'll have to join you guys for the next one after the comanche is done and painted :D Looks like the hobo special right now (here's the build thread btw).

If you have hinged, movable vent windows...that would be suspect. My XJ has leaked from various places for years but the biggest leak was when it was parked level or downhill. It was running out of the end of the gutter and across the "seal" on the wing window. I had a puddle on the floor. Fixed the leak with a new seal from the JY.

I still park it uphill. It's pretty much uphill or downhill around here. Not much level ground.

• 2 weeks later...