wet fuse box

SW86

i searched a little but didnt find what i was looking for. ive got water dripping down off the fuse box and into the floor. only does it was its a heavy rain or long rain. how can i go about fixing it???? seal off everything i guess sealant i guess :dunno:

Sure it was water and not Clutch fluid from the Mst. Cyl?

...which would equal bad. The clutch (brake) fluid will dissolve the fuse block. If it's leaking from there, fix the leak, and then clean the block, fuse by fuse with QD cleaner.

...and then it COULD be water as there is a 1.5" - 2" wire grommet up in there too. Mine was rotted/missing, and it leaked a little.

Time to stand on your head under the dash.

its water. I'm sure of it. its raining again so I'm sure there will be more. its not a lot but it fills up those two grooves in the floor board. any other time nothing, just when it rains.

so where is the easiest way to get to this grommet? under the dash or under the truck? how could i go about fixing it? new gromment, sealant? hell i guess i just need to check it out more

• 3 weeks later...

had the same problem, ended up being in between the firewall, the problem, there is no way to get to it, so I removed the wiper grille and still could not reach it, also if you have a garage, put a work light in the front floorboard inside the truck, turn off the garage lights and just like water, light will follow the least path of resistance and you might find it like that, but in my case had to cut a piece of windshield mount plate, make all the cuts so that after you replace all the trimming you won't be able to see the cuts, hope this helps :wrench:

• 4 weeks later...
[...which would equal bad. The clutch (brake) fluid will dissolve the fuse block. If it's leaking from there, fix the leak, and then clean the block, fuse by fuse with QD cleaner.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "QD cleaner"?

I have had a mas cyl leak previously, and I believe currently, too. I am also having multiple electrical issues - radio has power but not sound from speakers, fan blower doesn't work, brake lights don't work. I have felt behind the fuse box and it is damp. I plan on pulling it off and looking at it.

What do I clean it with?

Tim

[...which would equal bad. The clutch (brake) fluid will dissolve the fuse block. If it's leaking from there, fix the leak, and then clean the block, fuse by fuse with QD cleaner.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "QD cleaner"?

I have had a mas cyl leak previously, and I believe currently, too. I am also having multiple electrical issues - radio has power but not sound from speakers, fan blower doesn't work, brake lights don't work. I have felt behind the fuse box and it is damp. I plan on pulling it off and looking at it.

What do I clean it with?

Tim

QD cleaner is a spray cleaner for "quick disconnect" electrical connectors **I think that's waht the QD is for**. Any way it's a cleaner for electronics. Spray it on and it evaporates in a few seconds (so it's quite flammable). If it's damp behind the box and it's NOT water then the best thing to do is to remove the box from the C-101 connector if equipped, or just split the inside and outside and spray it down, and clean carefully as you go getting the fluid off the plastic parts, brass contacts, and fuses. Cover everything with lithium grease and put it all back together. Pain in the butt.