distributor

pug

Unbolt the cap and flip it around and look inside at the contacts and inspect for bent , broken or scored contacts and check the rotor for damage (fix as necessary) then reinstall the cap and make sure the cap sits flat on the distributor housing . It sounds as if the rotor is contacting the cap.

Just checked there is a lot of play side to side on distributor shaft. Can i replace just the bearing or do i have to replace distributor. thanks

I've been unsuccessful finding parts to rebuild distributors. :( You may luck out find a good used one at the yard (doubtful), or shop around and buy one new/rebuilt.

• 2 weeks later...

When do you hear the knock? I had a Knock from my distributor after rebuilding my engine. It would miss under part throttle and I would hear a knock from the distributor. I found the problem was the gasket that came in the engine kit would flatten out and let the distributor come loose after driving a few miles. This would let the distributor slap back and fourth on the clamp bolt everytime the timeing would try to advance or retard. It actualy left little thread marks on the clamp. I fixed it by removing the gasket and just using grey RTV. I have put about 2,000 miles on it so far and no more problems. I'm not sure if this is what your experiancing but it's something to look at.

Good Luck,

• 1 month later...