Fuel injector replacement...??

Well, while working on the other hose leaking, belt sqealing issues, I discovered thet there is a fuel injector leaking now too. I have been trying to find the issue with a bit of a rough idle problem and suspeck that this may be it, or part of it at least.

The question is...I have seen talk of using fuel injectors from a Ford Mustang 5.0L, but I have never had the occasion to research it, so does anyone here know what year 5.0L or any info on which ones to use??

I have heard three good things about doing this swap...

-Wide angle (60 degree - Jeep is straight) spray pattern for better efficiency

-Lower cost that Jeep injectors

-More power

Yea, I have found those specs in a couple places, but I can not confirm that it is possible to do the swap in a non-HO engine. All of the info I am finding is for a crossover of Mopar part #53030778, which is an HO injector, to the for injectors. It looks like the Mopar #53003659, which is what I have, does not have a matching Ford swap.

I found a set of 6 of the 53003659 reaplcements made by Crown on eBay for $99, but I am still doing a little more research before buying anything.

another option for you is to pull a set from the boneyard and had them clean and tested if the cost is less than 100 bucks. If memory serves me right i got the injectors for next to nothing since they were on the fuel rail that a buddy needed and i got the injectors. the cost was lot less it think i was like 6$ per injector. and it was to see if it would worked for me. It was a chance for me and it paid off. jamminz.gif

I swapped mine out with I think 93 mustang injectors it works good, careful not to drop a loose cap down into the intake. One of mine did what a PITA I had to take everything apart. Definitly check the injector caps for a loose one before installing. I bought mine on ebay used, and havent had a problem yet.

Thanks guys. I'll keep diggin' and see what happens. I may go ahead and get some of the Ford injectors and see what happens. Worst case is I have to sell them and change again which is not a big deal as this vehicle is not a DD.

Anyone else with input/advise, please keep it coming :cheers:

Its really simple. For a non HO engine (pre 91), you use injectors from the Mustang 5.0. They are Bosch 19# yellow top type 2 injectors. You can get them on ebay in sets of 8 for anywhere from 20 to 100 dollars depending on condition. Swapping them in is pretty quick. You will probably need new O-rings unless the seller has already done that.

They add power and fuel efficiency since they have multiple output holes providing a better spray pattern.

ooooooooooo :eek: the fancy ones LOL jking, Yeah those should would. Make sure no loose caps. Also make sure you push the fuel rail on to the injectors very good. I can't remember if I put the injectors in the rail or in the head first one of the ways makes it a little easier, I used a little motor oil or a little grease to lube up the o-rings so they slide easier.

I just did this swap. $15 for the injectors and $8 for new Injector seals ( I got the seals for my jeep to insure proper fit.) I did it on a 87 4.0 easy direct swap. And i believe any year 5.0 injectors will work. I don't believe it's a performance upgrade as much as it is just a better overall injector same spray rates. I did however notice the truck ran smoother at higher rpm but i think that is just cause my old injectors were old and gunked up.

I used the ford "Design III" 19lb injectors and they work great. My old original ones were leaking pretty bad so I bought 8 used ones on Ebay for $43. Here is another set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-Ford-M ... dZViewItem

The hardest part was finding replacement pintle caps since some of them were damaged on the used injectors. My local parts store only sold the o-rings. A guy called fuelunderpressure on Ebay sells the full rebuild kit with caps for $16.99 plus $1 shipping. I can definitly tell it has better throttle response and I just passed emissions so the ECU has no problem adjusting the pulse width.

what year is your jeep I didnt think that the type 3 would work but based on your setup they do may have to doo the same for all my jeep now that i have 2XJ and 1MJ which my MJ has been stroked. while the other have been no mods as of yet :brows: may have to do something with the 89 not sure yet

Mine is a 1988 4.0L all completely stock. I got the idea to use them from fiveomotorsports.com where they sell new ones and state "Works with stock ECU" for the Jeep 4.0 so I gave it a shot but purchased used ones instead.

If you do get used ones, I would recommend the rebuild kit with new o-rings and pintle caps. BTW - a trick to putting the new caps on without cracking them is to use a C-clamp or vise if you have one. Don't try to knock them on or hammer them on just put them in the clamp and gently turn and they will click in place easily.

Mine is a 1988 4.0L all completely stock. I got the idea to use them from fiveomotorsports.com where they sell new ones and state "Works with stock ECU" for the Jeep 4.0 so I gave it a shot but purchased used ones instead.
Are you saying that you used the Design 3 Injectors like this...

They look a bit different than the others, so I want to be sure before I buy anything.

533a_1.JPG

If you do get used ones, I would recommend the rebuild kit with new o-rings and pintle caps. BTW - a trick to putting the new caps on without cracking them is to use a C-clamp or vise if you have one. Don't try to knock them on or hammer them on just put them in the clamp and gently turn and they will click in place easily.

Did u notice any difference in fuel mileage? or was it just a nicer idle? either way, it sounds like a neat idea. I'm sure i could get my hands on some used injectors for peanuts, i know many ford ppl

They are the solid yellow (orange?) ones and have two part numbers stamped on the sides:

F4SE-A1B on one side

0280155700 on the other side

Here is a picture for reference:

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/PartsJPE ... 5710_6.jpg

I don't really know if mileage is any better since I have never measured it and the idle seems the same. The noticable difference for me is when I rev the engine in park there is no more split sec. hesitation.

Mainly though they solved my original problem which was 2 leaking injectors that were a fire hazard. I was not really looking for a performance increase but it does seem to be more responsive once the older injectors were replaced.

Well...I opted for a used set that I just won on eBay for $10.50. I'll give them a try and if it doesn't work out, I just go ahead and spend the money on the reman. units. I just couldn't pass up taking the chance for that price.