AMC-343 V8 / AX-15 5spd / AMC-20 = Project MJ/343

So i got way off track with this trying to make stuff work at bad time in life. trying it again.

Quick back story / update then on ward;

So Since the 290/ax15/am20 mess I have picked up a nice AMC eagle SX/4 that's getting its 258 replaced with the 290 that was for the MJ dub'd project "SX/290". I also aquired an Jeep Honcho shortbed stepside good body, bad frame, missing engine too. I'm building my own frame and i am going for Medium duty pickup sized rig, like the ford 550/Ram 5500. I have dub'd that project Jeep "J-5500". So i got the Honcho's drive train up for sale, along with the eagles I6 engine to fund this project Ideally :hmm:

:bowdown: So My AMX has a 390, the eagle is getting a 290, so i'm going with a 343 for the MJ. Then i'll have a whole Gen 2 AMC-V8 Hi-po set jamminz.gif

On ward:

The plan is to upgrade the power train, Restore the body, paint, and update the interior :wrench:

The power train;

AMC-343 Hi-po (4bbl 10.2:1 compression) / AX-15 2WD 5spd / 71'-74' Jav-20x 4.10's / 235-75R15 tires.

Starting point:

New Badging:

New rocker panels:

Enjoy the progress!

Mike

My window trim:

It appears there is some sort of "COATING" on the door trim i'm guessing by the windshield it should be all chrome, Rather I can make the door window trim to match that of the windshield ? ? ?

:???: What about Chrome bumpers :???:

:wrench: I need NEW-DOORS i know :wrench:

Mike

My window trim:

It appears there is some sort of "COATING" on the door trim i'm guessing by the windshield it should be all chrome, Rather I can make the door window trim to match that of the windshield ? ? ?

:???: What about Chrome bumpers :???:

:wrench: I need NEW-DOORS i know :wrench:

Mike

From what I gather, the black pieces on the chrome on the windows are weatherstripping to keep water from seeping down into the door panel. Mine are starting to come off as well. They hug the window to allow the water to slide off so it keeps out of the inside of the door.

Otherwise, very intriguing build... jamminz.gif Going to keep an eye on this one :thumbsup:

:( yea I was kind of wondering that myself, Why Cover up Chrome :fs1:

So removing the coating is going to have to be choice of "Pretty" v.s. "longevity" :ack: :(

What about bumpers front & rear in chrome :dunno:

Mike

So removing the coating is going to have to be choice of "Pretty" v.s. "longevity" :ack: :(

Mike

To answer your first question, yeah, Covering up chrome is a pretty stupid idea IMO. :fs1: But can't be helped.

Now, as for the second question, If I recall correctly, I believe that SOMEONE on here had a picture of a stock chrome bumper... Although I don't remember who/what it looked like, although I believe it looked like this....

Circled parts remained "Gunmetal" colored, while the side indented tubing (arrowed sections) were chrome. Again, not 100% if this is what it looked like, but there are aftermarket chrome bumpers made for the MJ. I don't know if they're a 100% fit though. :hmm:

Mike

To answer your first question, yeah, Covering up chrome is a pretty stupid idea IMO. :fs1: But can't be helped.

Now, as for the second question, If I recall correctly, I believe that SOMEONE on here had a picture of a stock chrome bumper... Although I don't remember who/what it looked like, although I believe it looked like this....

Circled parts remained "Gunmetal" colored, while the side indented tubing (arrowed sections) were chrome. Again, not 100% if this is what it looked like, but there are aftermarket chrome bumpers made for the MJ. I don't know if they're a 100% fit though. :hmm:

So to keep this paint theme i would have to keep my black trim from this unit ?

the fey bumpers are direct fit. but they don't look the same

:hmm: Are they close enough only an MJer would notice ;) . . . Anybody got photo of these "fey" units ? :???: ?

Mike

:eek: Mind reader :D

Yep I like the stance my MJ has right now, So I figured with using V8 springs from a Grand Cherokee V8.

Oughta get right where I wanna be and ride good too ;)

Setting it up to be a nice driver that'll tow or haul a load up a long steep grade or get up and git for a family crisis ;-)

:D Other wise just drivin around sounding cool :D

Mike

Being essentially the same weight and proportions, you could stroke/bore it out to a 390? If it was a Gen 1, I'd say you'd need 3" lift springs for a V8 ZJ or F150 springs.

Its the "Jeep" in me that drives the "more is better" mentality, but I understand wanted a child from the whole family. I'd love a V8 MJ like that.

3" in a 2WD :nuts: Its my AMC/Jeep version of a V8 Dakota/S10/Ranger ;)

I like the stock suspension on 235s look, Plus its about as high as most lil'4WD's ;)

Going for Sporty/Factory look, I'm making it a true "SporTruck"

jamminz.gif

Not a hot rod just a sporty driver that'll tow a load ;)

Mike

• 1 year later...

Well i had 343 V8 found turned out to be a 290, I already have a 290 so wasn't interested in another right now. Found another 343 in Rockford. so i am trying to plan out and setup a time for picking it up. lost out on the AMC-20 but i think i have found another AMC-20.

the floor repair the PO did turned out was just tinning over the old floor, Found a 22" x 11" area on the drivers side all rotted out ! so i am going to need a total floor pan kit i believe its 2pc kit cover the whole floor area. It was around $350-$450 any know where that can be purchased ?

Can the engine harness be removed ? id like to strip the truck of all the un-needing wiring basically just the lighting system. is that possible ?

Mike