Gas Tanks?

This question is purely hypothetical, but important to know.

If for some reason my fuel sender decides to take a dump, *knock on wood* since there are no retailers that sell replacement fuel senders, what would I have to do other than getting one from another MJ?

Basically; fuel sender dies, don't want to find another MJ and nab fuel sender, which gas tanks are compatible to fit on the MJ?

IIRC, I've heard that Dakota ones can be swapped because they're virtually the same... but am unsure at the moment... :hmm:

Found out that there are replacement fuel senders (Completely new to me.. :hmm: )

Please post up the make and Part number of these New Senders...

For 1987 2.5's

Pick and choose from the one's listed. Not sure if they are an exact fit though.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/searc ... ng+Unit%29

For Renix 4.0's (? Not sure about the HO's) and 2.1 Diesels

http://www.makeitjeepparts.com/seccat/c ... 7/6/31427/

How good are your fab skills? An MJ tank is the only tank that is a direct bolt in. However there are several tanks can be made to fit. The biggest problem is getting the filler tube in the right place, or just cut another hole in the bed, not recommended. Just don't pull the 70'S Wagoneer stunt and have the hose go up over the frame and into the tank. If you weren't parked on a steep slope it was almost impossible to top them off.

How good are your fab skills? An MJ tank is the only tank that is a direct bolt in. However there are several tanks can be made to fit. The biggest problem is getting the filler tube in the right place, or just cut another hole in the bed, not recommended. Just don't pull the 70'S Wagoneer stunt and have the hose go up over the frame and into the tank. If you weren't parked on a steep slope it was almost impossible to top them off.

:rotf:

As far as Fab skills go, it's near 0, mainly because I'm a interior fab guy, not a body welder fab guy. If only I could swap the two, I'd rather have great metal working abilities than making an interior cabin look factory pristine. :doh:

Appreciate the insight though (and the story) :thumbsup: Guess I'll keep an eye out for an MJ gas tank I can pilfer.

Most stores sell Cherokee senders and there computers tell them Comanche ones are the same. THEY ARE NOT.

But supposedly a Cherokee one does fit in an aftermarket Comanche tank that does not have the pan in the bottom.