No drill on the old tag.

Clear silicone.

Take a phillips screwdriver, pop a hole on each side of the old dash VIN tag (with good VIN#), remove VIN without damaging

it or the rivets. Drill out VIN rivets on new dash, silicone old VIN (with intact rivets) back into new dash. can't tell it was

replaced.

Be aware that the special rosett rivets for VIN tags are hard to come by, that is why I don't recommend drilling.

If I'm not mistaken,this discussion is about a VIN tag...not moral and legal...Cause if we want to go there then I

shouldn't have even replied. Save that for another post in the Pub.

I have never done this nor do I suggest any one else do it. This IS just a 'What If' question isn't it? Remove the dash padding. Cut out the old tag about 2 inches all around. replace tags. Weld the replacement tag in place, using minimal heat, Wire feed or even solder. Replace dash mat. Don't forget there is another tag under the hood. Either on the firewall, cowling or radiator support.

Not sure what the laws are in your area. But I called the DMV down here with that same question along with the legality of it. I asked if it was OK to to switch my original VIN tag onto a replacement dash. Told them my dash was in horrible shape and needed replacing. They said it was OK as long as it was the original matching VIN tag going back into the truck. However YMMV.......