Possible death wobble fix?

88 MJ, 2wd, 4.0, pigeon$#!& tranny, all stock. Got the death wobble all of a sudden a while back, found I couldn't go over 45mph. So today it seems worse, so I suck it up and go to the mechanic. He pulls the tires, wiggles, pokes, prods, slaps the tires back on and proclaims it is probably the MUD in the back of the rims. :doh:

Is this possible?

I went home and took them off, wash and scraped the dirt out, and I am now going for a ride to see if I can get it to 55. Lately, anything over 46-47 would induce massive shaking. 45 rides like a dream. It's only when I go faster, and if I slow down, it stops at 45.

I will report back, even if I crash. This will be a test run, I am prepared for the situation that might happen. Be back in a few.

88 MJ, 2wd, 4.0, $#!& tranny, all stock. Got the death wobble all of a sudden a while back, found I couldn't go over 45mph. So today it seems worse, so I suck it up and go to the mechanic. He pulls the tires, wiggles, pokes, prods, slaps the tires back on and proclaims it is probably the MUD in the back of the rims. :doh:

Is this possible?

I went home and took them off, wash and scraped the dirt out, and I am now going for a ride to see if I can get it to 55. Lately, anything over 46-47 would induce massive shaking. 45 rides like a dream. It's only when I go faster, and if I slow down, it stops at 45.

I will report back, even if I crash. This will be a test run, I am prepared for the situation that might happen. Be back in a few.

I had the exact same problem. 0-45, not even a shimmy. 46+ was practically out of control. For me, my track bar was beyond bad. One new track bar and tire balancing later, smooth as butter. I was lucky, though. For others, it seems to be a much more complicated, aggravating problem.

Mud wasn't the problem. Truck is at the shop, we shall see what the problems is.

And why the shaky eyes? I am an excellent driver, gov't trained on bigger vehicles than my Comanche. i know what to do in a crash, all I said was I was prepared for what might happened. Why is being prepared make me an idiot? Do you know how to test a truck at speed without being at speed? If so, do share. :shake:

88 MJ, 2wd, 4.0, $#!& tranny, all stock. Got the death wobble all of a sudden a while back, found I couldn't go over 45mph. So today it seems worse, so I suck it up and go to the mechanic. He pulls the tires, wiggles, pokes, prods, slaps the tires back on and proclaims it is probably the MUD in the back of the rims. :doh:

Is this possible?

I had the exact same problem. 0-45, not even a shimmy. 46+ was practically out of control. For me, my track bar was beyond bad. One new track bar and tire balancing later, smooth as butter. I was lucky, though. For others, it seems to be a much more complicated, aggravating problem.

I will pass this along to the mechanic. I would try to tackle it at home, but I have a habit of getting things apart, then not getting them back together. :D

Turned out I needed new front shocks. Hard to determine while not moving. Mechanic put new shocks, a new idler pulley (killed the squealing, THANK GOD), and new lug nuts :D. Now I just gotta paint those chrome things so they match the rest of the truck. :ack: :yes:

Took the truck out on the expressway, got it up to 65, damn, I haven't gone that fast in the Manche in months. :thumbsup: