Pukey to AW4

Seems like a strange swap but I think its whats gotta happen with my 87 Chief. I have been looking a AX-15 for almost a year now and cannot seem to get my hands on one. AW4s are a dime a dozen and they are bulletproof. (IMO)

Getting a AW4 from a coworker, all wiring, computer, TC, and flex plate. Plan to swap into my 87 MJ with 4.0/BA-10/231 truck. I know I'm going to have to find shifter stuff (floor shift is cool) outa a XJ plus the correct brake pedal assembly.

Plan to run aftermarket cooler mounted somewhere safe..

What can I expect when i dive into this. Any special things I should be aware of?

Also have been kicking around the idea of not using the computer and wiring the solenoids so it just has to be manually shifted. Hope to add a AWShifter so I can have just 1st gear not 1st and 2nd when wheeling.

Trans is from 93 XJ.

Mine is an 89, and I did ba10 to AW4, and it was cut and dry. My donor was a 90 xj, (Still renix, so it was pretty cut and dry.) I don't know what the difference will be for an HO era trans. You'll probably have different plugs to the Neutral safety switch, if not more, but they won't be bad to splice together. (My buddies AW4 in a 97 XJ has a different neutral safety switch plug than my 90.) Good luck, and let us know!

The plugs are the same (swapped in a trans from an early '94 into my '90 years ago). The main issue is the rear spline count. The '88 has a 21 spline output shaft while the '93 has a 23 spline output shaft. You can get a newer ('91+) NP231 or NP242 to swap in in place of yours and that will solve the spline issue. The other thing you can do (which is what I did since I had a SYE in my 231) is swap in just the input planetaries from a newer one. The issue with that is it has to be a '91-early '94 as in mid/late '94, (from what I've heard) they swapped to a different cut on the planetaries so they will not mesh with your inner gears.

Just a FYI, you'd have this same issue with the AX15 as all AX15's were 23 spline.

The plugs are the same (swapped in a trans from an early '94 into my '90 years ago). The main issue is the rear spline count. The '88 has a 21 spline output shaft while the '93 has a 23 spline output shaft. You can get a newer ('91+) NP231 or NP242 to swap in in place of yours and that will solve the spline issue. The other thing you can do (which is what I did since I had a SYE in my 231) is swap in just the input planetaries from a newer one. The issue with that is it has to be a '91-early '94 as in mid/late '94, (from what I've heard) they swapped to a different cut on the planetaries so they will not mesh with your inner gears.

Just a FYI, you'd have this same issue with the AX15 as all AX15's were 23 spline.

This is exactly what I figured. Also it probably would not be hard to find a 231 in the junkyard..probably right outa a 93 XJ, so thats why I wasnt to worried about it.

Anybody comment on the wiring to make it so It must be shifted manually? I have never done that before and would like to learn more about it.

This will be mostly a trail rig but it will see street (highway) use.

• 2 months later...

Bring this back to present day...

I have a 98 Cherokee that I'm pulling apart tomorrow. Engine is just a short block, has AW4 and 231 in good condition. This is the trans that I plan to use for my 87.

Do I have to swap steering columns for the shift cable that runs up to the column??

I plan to use this for a shifter:

http://radesignsproducts.com/RockShifter.aspx

I have a 98 Cherokee that I'm pulling apart tomorrow. Engine is just a short block, has AW4 and 231 in good condition. This is the trans that I plan to use for my 87.

Do I have to swap steering columns for the shift cable that runs up to the column??

If you use a stock XJ floor shift or that one in your link, there won't be any cable up to the dashboard or steering column. That was only for MJs with the column shift auto. If you mean the cable for the steering wheel lock, your manual tranny column has a push button for that function. You can run a cable to interlock the steering lock to the shifter -- or you can ignore that and continue to use the push button as you have been.

If you use a stock XJ floor shift or that one in your link, there won't be any cable up to the dashboard or steering column. That was only for MJs with the column shift auto. If you mean the cable for the steering wheel lock, your manual tranny column has a push button for that function. You can run a cable to interlock the steering lock to the shifter -- or you can ignore that and continue to use the push button as you have been.

Yep the steering wheel lock :thumbsup:

Looks like I should be G2G on this project then! Thank you!

Got the drivetrain out of the 98 XJ today. Spent a bit pulling the pieces apart on the floor. I did notice a difference in the torque converters from my other AW4 from a 94 XJ. Does anyone know the difference between them? For better or worse? Would it be wise to install a new flex plate when the trans goes into the MJ? I know they can be troublematic but its usually when they get closer to 200k. This engine/trans/t-case has just under 160k.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question that I have about this. Actually it pertains to 2 different MJs I have..

What about the NSS? I found a link on NAXJA about how to bypass it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1018747

In the "five year project," I swapped a complete drivetrain 4.0/AW4/242 in the truck that was originally a manual. Also I'm planning on putting a 98 AW4 in my 87 with the Rock Shifter as I posted above.

Any better ways for doing this? More perminent fix? Or is that just a dumb idea? What about the 87 that has a manual trans? How would I even get one to work correctly? I know the NSS is purely a safety feature but its holding up getting the Jeep running!

o-boy. lots of questions. Can you tell I never played with transmissions before? :oops: :roll:

The NSS is not really part of the transmission. It has nothing to do with making the vehicle run or move. It's the equivalent of the idiot safety switch on the late-model 5-speed XJs that won't let you start the engine unless the clutch pedal is ALL the way to the floor. Until we got my wife's 2000 XJ Classic, I don't think I ever drove an automatic that had a NSS. It's just more nanny state interference.

I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to do that "hack" and call it permanent -- except for the "gotcha" about losing the backup lights. I wouldn't mind wiring those to a manual toggle switch on the dashboard, but that's not an option in states that have mandatory safety inspections.

What are you doing with the pukey???

scrap :thumbsup:

The pukey was the reason this jeep has been sitting for 10 years. When we loaded it on the trailer to get the jeep to my new house, it would only drive in reverse. After attempting to load it, the trans is now JUNK.

The NSS is not really part of the transmission. It has nothing to do with making the vehicle run or move. It's the equivalent of the idiot safety switch on the late-model 5-speed XJs that won't let you start the engine unless the clutch pedal is ALL the way to the floor. Until we got my wife's 2000 XJ Classic, I don't think I ever drove an automatic that had a NSS. It's just more nanny state interference.

I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to do that "hack" and call it permanent -- except for the "gotcha" about losing the backup lights. I wouldn't mind wiring those to a manual toggle switch on the dashboard, but that's not an option in states that have mandatory safety inspections.

Thanks for the post.

I'm not too concerned about reverse lights. I like the idea of a toggle for them anyway and probably use some aftermarket units that actually light up the area behind the rig.

Hack it is!

Getting closer to getting some time to start the swap. Still gotta get to harbor freight and get a engine stand, 20 ton press, and some rollers for moving unrunning jeeps around the yard.

Quick question:

AW4 has 154k miles on it. Drove around on 33s for less than a year, never wheeled, true mall crawler.

Would it be a good idea to drop it off at a trans shop for a freshening and maybe a band adjustment? Or just drop the pan and change the trans filter myself, throw it back together, add fluid, and run it? (or just run it)

:rotfl2:

FWIW, I have 2 AW4s in the garage also.