Looking for rear axle help.

I have a 89 mj with a 2.5, 4 speed, 4x2, and a d35 rear end. I'm currently running 31,s on it and the gearing is a little weak. I don't do rugged off road driving, just getting into hunting areas around home. I'd like to go to 4.10 gears. Don't know if I should just get a knew ring and pinion or look for a used rear end. If a rear end is preferred what vehicles should I be looking for. Don't want to make a big project out of it, but welding new perches and shock mounts wouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks

Glenn

I believe the preferred order is MJ D44>MJ AMC-20>XJ D44>XJ Chrysler 8.25>Explorer 8.8, but I think someone not too long ago mentioned the Chrysler 9.25 as a workable solution - found in D50's and Ramchargers.

No personal experience, but general consensus is, unless you really, really know what you're doing, don't try to set up gears. Buy a used rear end that's in decent shape, change the oil, and weld 'er up.

Do NOT sink any $ like a gear swap for a dana 35. Just swich it out with somthing.

From personal experience i would go with the ford 8.8 from a 95-01 ford explorer. Easy to find with 4:10 gears stock, easy to find parts, strong axle, comes stock with disk brakes, and plenty of aftermarket support. All you need is new axle perches,wheel spacers, and a yoke adaptor. One of the best mods I've ever done :wrench:

Brandon

Are you running any lift? Unless you get the MJ D44 or AMC20 then the D44 and Chrysler 8.25 are the same amount of work. The XJ's you will want to cut the leaf perches and shock mounts off then weld on new perches on the bottom, then just use the mounts on your leaf plates for the shocks. If you do go that route, find the '97+ Chrysler 8.25 if you can. That one has the stronger 29 spline axles.

Since you're not into heavy off-roading, I would stay away from the Ford 8.8. While that axle is stronger than the rest, it requires a lot more work and parts to get it in there.

Thanks guys for the help! Is there a certain year that I should be looking for on the cherokee's. My local you pull it has a bunch of cherokee's in the early to mid 90's. And did if I do find a 44 how am I sure what ratio it has.

Thanks again!!

GLENN

Thanks guys for the help! Is there a certain year that I should be looking for on the cherokee's. My local you pull it has a bunch of cherokee's in the early to mid 90's. And did if I do find a 44 how am I sure what ratio it has.

Thanks again!!

GLENN

Any year Cherokee as long as it's not a grand Cherokee. Here is a chart you can use to figure out if it's a Dana 44 or not.

Also for re gear ratio there are a few ways to tell. One way is if there is an axle tag that will tell you. Another way is if you pull the diff cover the gear ratio will be stamped on the ring gear.

Brandon

Thanks guys for the help! Is there a certain year that I should be looking for on the cherokee's. My local you pull it has a bunch of cherokee's in the early to mid 90's. And did if I do find a 44 how am I sure what ratio it has. Thanks again!! GLENN

The last year the factory offered Dana 44 rear axles for XJ Cherokees and Wagoneers was 1987.

The last year the factory offered Dana 44 rear axles for XJ Cherokees and Wagoneers was 1987.

Don, you could get the D44 in 88s as well. They were just more readily available in the 87s.

To the OP. Your truck might have 4:10s stock. Most 2.5's came with them. Yours could be some weird duck though because of the AX4. My truck was a 2.5 with the AX4 and it had 4:10s from the factory. Sadly some clown swapped them out for 3:07s. :thwak:

Don, you could get the D44 in 88s as well. They were just more readily available in the 87s.

Believe you Bo, but it's not listed as a factory option for the 88s. But as it always is, nothing is written in stone. There were probably lots of parts leftovers at the dealers and maybe some found their way into the 88s for a fee. Never have seen an 88 with one, and I looked hard for a couple of years, but that doesn't mean much. Most of the old XJ/Waggys from that era had been "recycled" now unfortunately. If you're patient enough an 87-92 MJ D44 will show up before the older XJ D44 since because of the age.

The guy I got my old XJ's Dana 44 out of said it came out of an '89 and I've read they were available from '87-'89, and some made their way into the '90's. I'm not saying they're right or anything, just pointing out what I was told/read.

Probably all true. Just sayin they are not listed in the XJ parts manuals after 87. They probably had a lot of 44s left over. You can still find them today as surplus. Tapco International had a bunch of them last year. A CC member (Ren I believe) got a surplus XJ D44 from one of the Dana plants awhile back.

I thought that the D44 axle was in the 2.5 with the 5 speed tranny. I got the 4 speed. Don't know for sure.

Glenn

As far as I know, the D44 was never put behind a 2.5. All were D35s regardless of transmission. As far as the OEM was concerned, there wasn't any reason to have anything bigger behind the four cyly.

You might be correct Glenn.

My truck was more than likely a special order unit. It had some weird options from the factory on a base truck.

Things like a 2.5, AX4, 4X4, A/C, black vinyl bench seat, carpet, chrome bumpers and grille, manual steering, and the 4:10 axles.

I have no idea what they were thing when they ordered this truck. I am glad I get her back though.

Got a chance to get the truck back in the shop today and it still had the axle tag on it. After doing a little cleaning with glass bead I could just make out 3.55. Dang I was hopeing for 4.10. Oh well, get to go searching! Maybe I'll find something good! Got to think possitive, right?

GLENN

Pull the cover and look at the markings on the ring gear. The tag means nothing as the gears could have been swapped and the same tag reinstalled. It's a Jeep. You can't know what you have without double checking.