Rear axle/D-shaft ?

Ended up having to replace the D35 in my truck, so replaced with a Cry-co 8.25 from a '97 Cherokee. Cut off the old perches & shock mounts and mocked it in, set the pinion angle and tacked in place. Removed axle finished welding everything up proper, a quick coat of paint and put it in the Manche..... This is where I have a problem (i think anyway) looks like I only have 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of slip from the shoulder of the slip yolk, to the tail cone of the t-case. Will this be enough or should I be shortening the driveshaft? Will be getting a better measurement after I get home, and take it for a quick spin to see if anything is binding.

Any thoughts.... questions.... suggestions? All welcome

Thanks

Truck - 86 LWB 4.0 Auto 3" lift

RE: "I would shorten the shaft about an inch." :agree:

I just went down this path a couple months ago. The 8.25

housing snout is an inch longer than the D35. Got a shaft

one inch shorter, all is well. The old shaft did fit, but I was

uncomfortable with the lack of remaining travel, and more

uncomfortable with the consequences if it should bottom

out suddenly with force.

There is not much movement of the yoke with spring articulation, but axle wrap forcing the pinion up makes a HUGE difference and will cause it to bottom out.

Especially if you're SOA.

Axle is still SUA, I moved the 8.25 back to the next hole on the spring perches 1 1/2 inch from where the D35 was.

So anyway I took it for a spin down a rough road 20 minute round trip and all was good. Still unsure about the driveshaft though, I would feel better with at least an inch of travel.

Thoughts? Opinions?

no more then a inch and you will be fine. Like I said I run soa and have just over 3/4, which if you look at the yoke you can tell where it was before polished and dirty looking.

How it should look

L To R Stock yokes; 94 XJ 4wd, 93 XJ 2wd, 94 YJ 4wd. All fit AX-15 trans.

On my old D35 I had to replace the driveshaft as it couldn't be balanced. I got a Tom Woods custom drive shaft with an extended GM front slip yoke and cut it off so I had 1" of slip yoke travel at rest. It worked fine for normal driving until I floored it going up a hill one day which rotated the pinion. The slip yoke slapped hard into the transmission tailpiece a couple of times until I backed off. No damage done, but I shaved about 3/8" more off the slip yoke and it never did it again. So I'd say, yes, I think you need more than 1" of travel, more like 1-3/8" - 1-1/2".

Never thought about the differences in slip shafts! Thanks, will check it tomorrow after work. I think mine is like the one on the left in your picture, if I can find ine like the middle that would give me a little more travel....approx an inch :thumbsup:

Dirteatr717..... that would work if we were a little closer than 8 hours! But yeah if you could check your measurement and I'll check my truck after work today and post back :cheers: