Incommando's 4x2 Redux...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ordered:

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-bumpers/rustys-jeep-bumpers/jeep-xj-cherokee-bumpers/rustys-bumper-front-trail-bumper-xj.html

I liked the $40 pre-runner bar but adding it adds $52 to the price of shipping! But if you order the $40 bar separately and have it shipped separately then it is only $17 to ship. Funny how dimensional changes can really jack up shipping charges more than weight changes. I will fab something or get something locally later of I decide to go this route.

That is worth looking into. Thanks for the tip.

My current thoughts are buying a Z&M bedside panel and cutting it up to fix the bed and the cab or cutting patch panels out of two spare doors that I have but the TJ corners idea could work, as well.

Something like this:

http://www.c2cfabrication.com/store/1976-86-cj-series-rear-taillamp-panel-lh/

• 2 weeks later...

My pillar lights never worked ( not unusual, huh?) I snagged the front dome/map light cluster & the lighted vanity mirror visors out of a 2000 XJ CLassic and mounted them up. The headliner/backer was gone when I bought the truck so I mounted the dome light above the mirror.

Installed my Cobra Ultra III compact CB on the back of the cab. I tilted it so that I could easily read the LED numbers in bright daylight.  I used some neat little "beadle" re-usable zip ties to hold the mic cord up and I used quick-connects on the wiring so that I can easily remove it when I want to. The antenna is a 3" Firestick on a springy. This mounting location should give it the most unobstructed broadcast & reception short of plopping it onto the roof.

[/

URL]

Took it to a local ORV park ( Thrashing Trails) and gave it its maiden voyage. I did not get many pictures but the truck did great. It went everywhere that any other street-driven jeep went and did so easily. Here are some obstacles that I walked through where the Wranglers had to take the strap.

View out of the windshield (bypasses are for wimps)

Not hard core by any means but it is actually pretty steep. It walked up this climb that took the other street jeeps multiple attempts. The ledges at the top are taller then they look from the bottom.

Both of these TJ's wound up hating the ol' MJ  :thumbsup: . Frankly a Rubi in stock configuration with the limits on the lockers leaves some room for improvement

The easier side

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1531520057069204" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1531520057069204">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/sabrina.greene.106">Sabrina Greene</a>.</div></div>

It turns out that on my first wheeling trip with the MJ I slightly bent the tie rod adjusting sleeve. This, along with pulling the threads out of the tie rod adjusting sleeve, is a very common problem as the factory really cheaped out on the design of the long hollow adjusting sleeve and two short tie rod ends especially considering the fairly exposed location of this part.

One solution is a heavy duty steering kit. Many companies offer some version of this but they can be expensive. Some of these also flip the TRE's on top of the knuckle. These require varying degrees of modification to install. For some these kits may be the way to go but again they can be pricey and/or time consuming to install. Here is one option for $480.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-Steering/Currectlync-Heavy-Duty-Tie-Rod-System.aspx?t_c=65&t_s=430&t_pt=6195&t_pn=curce-9701&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gclid=CjwKEAjwgMieBRCB3bqB94e9lD4SJABW3sTNGb9ew9C41ITXormQ6HKmj9A9-ir3KBmsrCJHfC4T6BoCZkjw_wcB . But 99% of the time the drag link is not an issue and the stock piece is already a solid bar like what is included in most of the kits. Really only the tie rid assembly is different unless you do the fab work to flip the TRE's.

To just replace the weak hollow assembly here is an option:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/omix-ada-tie-rod-long-kit-zj-v8-18054.09/10186043-P . It is the factory set up from a Grand Cherokee ZJ with a V8 .  This gets you the heavy duty solid bar tir rod assembly with the much stronger adjusting sleeve. Using Advance Auto's ever-present online discounts and free shipping this kit this kit cost me $96.04 shipped. It includes everything that you need and is 100% bolt-on. Just remember to do your tape measure alignment to set the tow when you are done. This was a 15 minute job and it appears that the new assembly is bent and that it would clear many aftermarket diff covers that would hit the stock bar.

• 4 months later...

I got to take the MJ to a wheeling spot called Haspin Acres in Laurel, IN. It is about 70 miles from home. The truck was 100% on the drive there and after wheeling for 6 hours the drive home. It is not nearly a "hardcore" jeep but I feel that it holds its own for something the is as daily driver capable/comfortable as when it was stock. And it didn't break the bank.

Stuffed 32:

[

/URL]

I have heavily siped MT's. I drive in rain & snow with no issue. I don't even notice it on wet roads. On snow and ice you have to be aware it is there when making a 90 deg. turn from a stop or something but that is true with a limited slip, as well. This is the second street driven jeep I have owned with a rear Aussie. This new version is notably smoother. But even with the old one in a lifted KJ with 31" MT's and a 6-speed stick I drove it year-round and never had an issue. And we do get a little winter here... decent snow, ice, freezing rain....   My OSDP ( opposite sex domestic partner) drove the MJ to work the other day in 5-6" of snow with ice underneath and never put it in 4wd with no issues. My buddy has one in the back of his mild-mannered 45 yr old wife's lifted KJ on 32's and she DD's it year round and has for 60,000 miles with it in there.  You will hear it click making a sharp turn out of a parking space or the like but no issues. The only time I get it to act up is when I make one of those 90 deg. turns like at a light and punch it. It will catch and bark until it unlocks again. But I know it is going to do it when I hit the gas that hard. If I stay on the gas hard it will stay locked just like a hot rod with a posi rear. But you know it is going to do it when you act that way.

Honestly, I see nothing but win in this thread! Then again, I like it when trucks are used as trucks. :)

Thanks again. It works for me. My first MJ was nice enough that I worried when I took it off road. This one? Not so much. The effort/investment to repair this thing far exceeds its value so in my mind it really is the perfect one to take a chance with.

First MJ

Isn't it amazing how well out trucks flex out..... I noticed your in Southwest Ohio.... you should try and come down to IVY Branch sometime and wheel with us.  Live the truck... keep those pics coming.

Honestly, I see nothing but win in this thread! Then again, I like it when trucks are used as trucks. :)

Thanks again. It works for me. My first MJ was nice enough that I worried when I took it off road. This one? Not so much. The effort/investment to repair this thing far exceeds its value so in my mind it really is the perfect one to take a chance with.

First MJ

Dang! That is a nice one! It MIGHT just be that I love MJ's but I dig both styles of builds. All go and no show is near and dear to my heart, but a clean resto-mod like your first MJ is sweet too! Hopefully, I'll end up with something in between with mine. I WILL be stealing ideas from you, by the way. :D