2.5 operating temp

The gauge climbs to the top of the blue mark then drops to the middle and repeats the cycle. Wondering what is the normal temp it should be running at?? I doubt its running that cold....Any theories???

The gauge is fine and the Temp sensor on the head is brand new.

The gauge climbs to the top of the blue mark then drops to the middle and repeats the cycle. Wondering what is the normal temp it should be running at?? I doubt its running that cold....Any theories???

Don't know where the top of the blue mark is, but the temp going up and down is probably the thermostat opening and closing.

Don't know where the top of the blue mark is, but the temp going up and down is probably the thermostat opening and closing.

Agree with mvusse. I've seen this behavior with other vehicles when the thermostat is going bad. Normally this will also coincide with variations in the amount of heat the heater puts out...bursts of cold and warm.

How is your radiator fluid level?

Also, does it seem like the fluid is circulating through the system (i.e. are all of the radiator hoses hot to the touch after running a while)?

Is it possible the new thermostat is defective? Thoughts?

Sure sounds like an air pocket to me.... hmm next time you drive it and it is moving up and down like that try rapidly turning the steering wheel to slosh the water around in your cooling system, not while you hauling a$$ obviously. Some times the air pocket (if it has one) will move away from sender or thermostat and change your readings on your gauge. Or even consistant left or right hand turns can have the same effect. If you can manually change the readings on your gauge with any of the above mentioned techniques its got to be an air bubble traped in there. Good luck