Clutch chatter

88 LWB, 4.0l with a manual tranny. The first 15-20 minutes everything is nice and smooth, after warm up, the clutch jumps and shakes the truck when taking off in 1st gear. The clutch was supposedly replaced right before I bought the truck about 3,000 miles ago. The suggestions I've heard so far are oil from the rear seal getting on the clutch, worn pressure plate or fly wheel needs resurfacing. What do you guys think?

It's pretty damn embarrassing going through drive thru's. :oops:

88 LWB, 4.0l with a manual tranny. The first 15-20 minutes everything is nice and smooth, after warm up, the clutch jumps and shakes the truck when taking off in 1st gear. The clutch was supposedly replaced right before I bought the truck about 3,000 miles ago. The suggestions I've heard so far are oil from the rear seal getting on the clutch, worn pressure plate or fly wheel needs resurfacing. What do you guys think?

It's pretty damn embarrassing going through drive thru's. :oops:

If you find out let me know... I have the same issue, no chatter and takes off smooth until about twenty mins of running then I get a take off chatter. I have NO oil leaks ! And all mounts are new. Makes you hate stop and go traffic.... But then again I hate stop and go traffic anyway under normal conditions.

First -- the FSM states that the flywheel canNOT be resurfaced. If it needs to be resurfaced, you need to buy a new one.

Clutch chatter often results when a driver slips the clutch too much and burns hard spots into the surface. Then, when a new clutch is installed, the surface is uneven in both contact patch and hardness, which causes the chatter. The only fix is a new flywheel.

First -- the FSM states that the flywheel canNOT be resurfaced. If it needs to be resurfaced, you need to buy a new one.

Clutch chatter often results when a driver slips the clutch too much and burns hard spots into the surface. Then, when a new clutch is installed, the surface is uneven in both contact patch and hardness, which causes the chatter. The only fix is a new flywheel.

However I am unsure why it cannot be resurfaced, It looked like my original one had a slight taper to it, and I thought that might be the reason, but the after market replacement is completely flat.

However I am unsure why it cannot be resurfaced, It looked like my original one had a slight taper to it, and I thought that might be the reason, but the after market replacement is completely flat.

It is getting harder to find a place that will resurface here anyway.. I plan of making a clean sweep of it all when I do it and then hopefully I will not have to revisit again in a day or two.