Breathing in really nasty fumes in my cab -- video of motor

Hi everyone, I just bought an '89 comanche w/ a rebuilt motor. I'm stoked about the truck, but I'm breathing in some really bad fumes. My lungs hurt and I can't get full breaths of air because of it. It just smells like gas a little bit and exhaust.

Here's a link to a video of my motor: http://vimeo.com/22631020

I was looking around in my Chilton book and wondered if it might be:

1. Evaporation Canister not working?

2. CCV / PVC not working?

3. I think the muffler is attached properly w/ a new gasket, but still haven't checked that one.

I posted the video in the hopes that someone more knowledgeable might see something right away that is not connected properly or something.

Please let me know what you think. Many thanks in advance for any advice.

cp

ok at the 30 sec mark . the hose thats missing , is your ac (high pressure line) at the 50 second mark ,you see both high and low pressure lines are missing for the ac compressor. no problem there unless you are wandering why your ac don't work . :hmm: but check this , intake/exaust gasket for leaks , you should hear a leak if its bad , by a pisst pisst sound around the drivers side of the motor.and PS MANCHES AREN"T CARS!!! THERE MAN,CHE TRUCKS comanche.gif

I see no issues that would be causing fumes. I would check the exhaust for leaks, or oil dripping onto it. The two hoses going to the firewall are for the heater. They should have nothing but coolant in them.

Also, if you like the truck, get rid of the Fram oil filter and put another brand on.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I'll check the intake/exhaust gasket. I do hear a hissing sound when i turn the motor off

Charcoal canister can cause the gasoline smell, Take it off and shake it, if you hear things moving around change it.... it is available through Team Cherokee I think for around fifty bucks give or take.

• 4 months later...

Finally figured out what this was and it was a fuel leak in the fuel return line. The quick connect fuel line was oozing fuel. I think it might have been a corroded rubber washer but not sure. Since they don't make this part any more, I just cut the line and fastened on 5/16" fuel line with clamps and a splicer.

Now though, the truck is coughing and not getting enough fuel. I think maybe it's:

1. the fact that I didn't depressurize the fuel line before I cut it?

2. For some reason the splicer isn't allowing fuel to get through (?) or the quick connect fittings have a backflow prevention of some sort?

The truck just bogs down when I push on the gas. To get it going, I put it in neutral, rev it, and put it back in drive and then it will go for a 20 seconds before bogging again.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks

cp

Thanks for the tip. Still, even with my fix I don't see why it isn't working.

I don't think it is totally necessary to have the quick connect, as long as the fuel can get through, no?

Thx again

I just cut the line and fastened on 5/16" fuel line with clamps and a splicer."
Thanks for the tip. Still, even with my fix I don't see why it isn't working. I don't think it is totally necessary to have the quick connect, as long as the fuel can get through, no? Thx again

Maybe. Any chance you can post up a pic to see your fix?

yep will try to do that asap. basically it's standard fuel line going into the metal fuel line that goes into the fuel pressure regulator. The splicer does have a more narrow gap than the rubber fuel line also because it is made of brass. I would imagine it's either the splicer interrupting the flow of the fuel or the pressure is off, but obviously i don't know $#!& about this truck (! :)

many thanks again for the help!