somebody stop me!

JeepcoMJ

bought another '97...this one with no body damage, minimal rust (needs driver's floor pan), bent front axle, but good control arms (mounts are bent on passenger side...axle tubes are straight)

4.0/auto. has cruise. aside from the front axle, it needs a muffler, speakers, stereo, rear hatch latch fixed, new driver's door handle, and a windshield.

I'll get it fixed for under $1000, going to put my JCR stage 4 and rusty's rear bumper on it, budget boost to make look agressive, aftermarket rims, and a set of 31's I have laying around. I figure on getting around $2500 out of it when I'm done.

216354_736923707513_69205416_38176025_3330692_n.jpg

216872_736923547833_69205416_38176020_6531251_n.jpg

another day in paradise

-Pat

Crap I only have 8.5.

Also, not so many deals to be had in my area, too much stuff thats a good deal gets picked up before I can even load the ad.

i know how you feel.

This I picked up to fix and flip. I'm going to go bail my ex-room mate out and pick up his jeep out of impound for impound and tow costs...keep it off his credit, gives me another lifted 97 to fix quick and sell. I'm honestly thinking of quitting my job to do this...I hate my job, I like working on jeeps. if I can get myself ahead of the game, it may pan out.

the problem here is winters....need heated concreted garage to work on stuff in the winter, and I don't have that...

Crap I only have 8.5.

Also, not so many deals to be had in my area, too much stuff thats a good deal gets picked up before I can even load the ad.

i know how you feel.

This I picked up to fix and flip. I'm going to go bail my ex-room mate out and pick up his jeep out of impound for impound and tow costs...keep it off his credit, gives me another lifted 97 to fix quick and sell. I'm honestly thinking of quitting my job to do this...I hate my job, I like working on jeeps. if I can get myself ahead of the game, it may pan out.

the problem here is winters....need heated concreted garage to work on stuff in the winter, and I don't have that...

Well I'm in that position right now, no job just flipping Jeeps. It's not so great.

When you don't have anything to flip you are tearing your hair out looking for something, then when you finally get something you can't seem to work fast enough to get it repaired and sold.

Then there's the selling, I hate the selling, I hate being "on", I hate having to smile and meet people and deal with all that, if every buyer was like me then it would be fine, but there are WAY too many tire kickers out there.

I would like a steady income, so that I can come home and just work on the projects I want to work on, like my CRD MJ.

I'm sore, I'm tired, my hands hurt, and if I'm lucky I will be able to sell a Jeep before the end of the month bills.

Part of me thinks like you, if I could just get ahead a little I would be much better off, and could maybe keep on top of things.

Best deal I ever saw was a 6 month old Mercedes that sold for $65,000, it needed about 10-15k in parts(passenger side seat was stolen, rear @$$ portion of the seat was stolen, front and rear bumpers were missing, and it had been keyed, replace those and give it a full repaint, and it would have been a 110k car. I'm a long ways off from having 80k to throw at a car to make 30k profit on it, but that would be sweet.

I'm honestly thinking of quitting my job to do this...I hate my job, I like working on jeeps. if I can get myself ahead of the game, it may pan out.

Wear layers. I'm sure the winters get much colder than here in NJ, but I was out in my shop all winter without any heat, but I invested in some good thermal underwear a while back and it has been worth every penny. Got it from Eastern Mountain Sports and it's generally used for outdoor winter activities. I got the heaviest stuff they had. I also use a radiant propane heater and will use it to warm my hands and body up every 15 minutes or so, but it got pretty expensive filling that tank up every couple weeks or so.

Well I'm in that position right now, no job just flipping Jeeps. It's not so great.

When you don't have anything to flip you are tearing your hair out looking for something, then when you finally get something you can't seem to work fast enough to get it repaired and sold.

Then there's the selling, I hate the selling, I hate being "on", I hate having to smile and meet people and deal with all that, if every buyer was like me then it would be fine, but there are WAY too many tire kickers out there.

I would like a steady income, so that I can come home and just work on the projects I want to work on, like my CRD MJ.

I'm sore, I'm tired, my hands hurt, and if I'm lucky I will be able to sell a Jeep before the end of the month bills.

Part of me thinks like you, if I could just get ahead a little I would be much better off, and could maybe keep on top of things.

Problem is, with a REAL job, you won't have the time to come home and work on that CRD MJ. I'm in this position now. I have a 40-hour/week job and a steady income, but no time to do the things I want to do. Get home around 6PM, eat dinner, feed dog, and I'm lucky to get down to my shop by 7. Get a couple hours of work in there and then head back home to shower, sleep, and wake up for work the next day.

I don't really enjoy my job all that much either. I have a very loose grasp on the concepts that my company specializes in and I never really contribute any good ideas to improve upon existing designs of the products we engineer. I get very disinterested in the work and am constantly put into uncomfortable situations with clients where I cannot come up with the right answer because I don't have the knowledge or experience, but because my company is so small and our resources are stretched so thin, I'm forced to do things and pretend like I know what I'm doing. I'm currently dithering quite a bit on voluntarily leaving my job to pursue a different career path. One thing I have found is that if I truly enjoy doing something (design and prototyping, for example), I'll put in 110% and the end result is something that I'm proud of. I don't get that satisfaction whatsoever with my current job. I took it because I was running out of money and they made me a decent offer, but I knew from the very beginning that I wasn't going to be a good fit.

I'm honestly thinking of quitting my job to do this...I hate my job, I like working on jeeps. if I can get myself ahead of the game, it may pan out.

Wear layers. I'm sure the winters get much colder than here in NJ, but I was out in my shop all winter without any heat, but I invested in some good thermal underwear a while back and it has been worth every penny. Got it from Eastern Mountain Sports and it's generally used for outdoor winter activities. I got the heaviest stuff they had. I also use a radiant propane heater and will use it to warm my hands and body up every 15 minutes or so, but it got pretty expensive filling that tank up every couple weeks or so.

Problem is, with a REAL job, you won't have the time to come home and work on that CRD MJ. I'm in this position now. I have a 40-hour/week job and a steady income, but no time to do the things I want to do. Get home around 6PM, eat dinner, feed dog, and I'm lucky to get down to my shop by 7. Get a couple hours of work in there and then head back home to shower, sleep, and wake up for work the next day.

I don't really enjoy my job all that much either. I have a very loose grasp on the concepts that my company specializes in and I never really contribute any good ideas to improve upon existing designs of the products we engineer. I get very disinterested in the work and am constantly put into uncomfortable situations with clients where I cannot come up with the right answer because I don't have the knowledge or experience, but because my company is so small and our resources are stretched so thin, I'm forced to do things and pretend like I know what I'm doing. I'm currently dithering quite a bit on voluntarily leaving my job to pursue a different career path. One thing I have found is that if I truly enjoy doing something (design and prototyping, for example), I'll put in 110% and the end result is something that I'm proud of. I don't get that satisfaction whatsoever with my current job. I took it because I was running out of money and they made me a decent offer, but I knew from the very beginning that I wasn't going to be a good fit.

-10 degrees was common this past winter at my house, I have a 40x80 pole barn to heat, that's un-insulated and gravel. I rent, landlord won't allow me to put concrete and/or walls in unless I do it at my dime. I won't do it on my dime because I don't own the house. I'd own the house if he was realistic on value of the house.

regardless...yes, I have underarmor pants, shirt, even gloves and socks...with the walmart brand coveralls, it's still not warm enough for me to wrench on something. I draw the line when I can gouge a chunk out of my skin and not feel it....i won't work in that.

And I feel you on disinterest in your job. I build semi trucks out of wrecks that no other company would touch. I don't give a @#$% about them, or my job...if not simply because when I ask what to do, I get yelled at...and if I do something without asking...I get yelled at. it's hard to be happy in a lose-lose situation.

Wow two hours worth of work on a project? Sweet. I haven't touched mine in 1.5 YEARS.

It would be nice to have 2 hours of free time to do what I want two every night.

Different prices in different parts of the country. In the last couple months I've purchased a 98 XJ sport, needs right front fender, hood and grill. Mechanically perfect. $500. '97 XJ, PO said it wouldn't start or run. Couldn't find anything wrong with it. Starts, runs every time I try it. $250. '94 ZJ, blown engine. $250. Replaced engine with one from a wrecked XJ, $400. GF using it as a DD. '93 XJ, smashed windshield and windshield posts, $300. '98 ZJ. wouldn't start. $400. Replaced fuel pump. Runs great. '91 XJ Door hinge pulled out of door frame. Door was held on with duct tape. Driver got in and out thru passenger side. $225. And a couple others. No MJ'S tho. I'm thinking about checking the price of renting a mobile parking lot and making a trip, or two back East.

comanche.gif

well here is an :idea: just get a few solar panels to provide you juice and get some electric blankets so that you have a heated floor under the jeep a layer of vinyl over the blanket in case of spills then cover the rest of the bottom open areas with a shower curtain and magnets to limit the cold air from getting under vehicle and the temp should rise to about workable conditions. All is needed is a few batteries, power inverter and some additional solar panels heck with the money gets good get wind power too :nuts: but it just might work :cheers:

well here is an :idea: just get a few solar panels to provide you juice and get some electric blankets so that you have a heated floor under the jeep a layer of vinyl over the blanket in case of spills then cover the rest of the bottom open areas with a shower curtain and magnets to limit the cold air from getting under vehicle and the temp should rise to about workable conditions. All is needed is a few batteries, power inverter and some additional solar panels heck with the money gets good get wind power too :nuts: but it just might work :cheers:

then I'd have to sweep/shovel the roof, since it's the only thing around the shop that gets direct sunlight.

next...

then I'd have to sweep/shovel the roof, since it's the only thing around the shop that gets direct sunlight.

next...

Drink copious amounts of alcohol so you feel warm.

Install lift over a hottub?

• 2 weeks later...

217070_741424532823_69205416_38242115_7572764_n.jpg

223099_741424452983_69205416_38242114_806546_n.jpg

221911_741424123643_69205416_38242113_8095813_n.jpg

224716_741424108673_69205416_38242112_8034603_n.jpg

216557_741423834223_69205416_38242109_3963496_n.jpg

pulled the valve cover, disconnected CPS, had room mate crank over for me. number 6 exhaust valve doesn't move (much), but does move in time. looks to be a bent push rod. I'll replace that, and we shall see. hopefully the lifter is fine and I won't have to pull the head. the noise it makes is more of a slap than a ticking noise, I can only assume that the lifter is bouncing around like a sumbi*ch.

I built this jeep for him...2000 hard miles on the new motor in it, rebuilt the trans, tcase, all have the same miles. 2001 intake manifold upgrade, 62mm throttle body, ebay header. already replaced the floors, too. going to add cruise control, power windows, locks, mirrors, fix the engine issue, and then realistically I will decide to sell it because that's just what I do.