Front pass rubbing issue

Ok, I installed a Rusty's 2" suspension lift and put BFG 31" AT's on TJ canyon factory wheels and when I turn all the way to the left the front passenger tire rubs on the sway bar link. So I bought the adjustable trackbar and the tire shop installed and adjusted it (I could not get the factory one off, long story) and I just checked it. The passenger tire is 5' 3/4" from frame and the driver tire is 5' 1/2" from frame and the pass tire still rubs on sway bar link.

My question is, would 1/4" make the difference in the rubbing?

Track bar not centered right or you need an alignment after the lift.

Eagle hit the nail on the head. I bet that Rusty's kit didn't come with an adjustable trackbar. When you change the distance from the axle to the frame, without lengthening the trackbar, it will pull it sideways, causing your problem. If it bothers you, get a quality adjustable trackbar, and get it re-aligned after.

Rob

Ok, I installed a Rusty's 2" suspension lift and put BFG 32" AT's on TJ canyon factory wheels and when I turn all the way to the left the front passenger tire rubs on the sway bar link. So I bought the adjustable trackbar and the tire shop installed and adjusted it (I could not get the factory one off, long story) and I just checked it. The passenger tire is 5' 3/4" from frame and the driver tire is 5' 1/2" from frame and the pass tire still rubs on sway bar link.

My question is, would 1/4" make the difference in the rubbing?

If it's rubbing on the sway bar link, and if you still have the original sway bar links, you need to get longer sway bar links. The 92+ XJ links are 1-1/2" longer than your stock links and replacing them w. these should cure the rubbing. Bolt-in. Then adjust your track bar to center the axle.

How would putting longer swaybar links in keep the tire from rubbing on the swaybar links, just can't picture this in my head. I would think he just needs to adjust his steering stops or needs a more offset rim. :dunno:

When you adjust the track bar, you will only have to move the axle 1/8 of an inch over to make it even on both sides.

I would like to see a picture of it rubbing.

The OP said he's rubbing on the sway bar links, not the frame. I interpreted that to be the top of the sway bar because the bar was lowered compressing the front coils because of his lift. Happened to me. The adj. track bar only centers the axle so if there is rubbing on the frame it can be equalized, but won't help rubbing the sway bar link (or coil distortion). If this is what he meant. Would also like to see some pics.

Your track bar is already pushing the pass side out , so , it never helped . You need more offset on the wheels . The factory canyons I've seen used are accompanied with spacers for lifts and bigger tires .

Have you had an alignment since the lift ? 2" with cause the toe to turn in alot but has nothing to do with your rubbing issue , that comes from wanting to stuff 32's where a 30-31 fits tight . I'd say you'll need to trim as well once the wheels are offset more

Here is front pass tire turned all the way to the left and as you can see the inner tire is rubbing on sway bar link.

Here's where the tire has rubbed on the sway bar link.

Close up shot.

CORRECTION: The tires are 31x10.5 BFG AT's. And yes, I got the Rusty's adjustable trackbar and the truck has been aligned and it drives completely straight. I was assured by Rusty's that 31x10.5s would not rub. When I called them about this problem they also suggested I just bend the original trackbar!??

The OP said he's rubbing on the sway bar links, not the frame. I interpreted that to be the top of the sway bar because the bar was lowered compressing the front coils because of his lift. Happened to me. The adj. track bar only centers the axle so if there is rubbing on the frame it can be equalized, but won't help rubbing the sway bar link (or coil distortion). If this is what he meant. Would also like to see some pics.

OK. I can see if it hits the swaybar itself. Makes sense for longer links then.

Since it is rubbing on the lower mounts, adjusting the trackbar won't help, the axle and mount will move together. I would add a couple of washers behind your steering stops.

...adjusting the trackbar won't help...

Not entirely true. With a properly adjusted trackbar, the turning radius will be equal both ways. With the axle shifted underneath the truck, you get less of a throw in turning one direction, and more than standard the other way.

Rob :smart:

...adjusting the trackbar won't help...
With a properly adjusted trackbar, the turning radius will be equal both ways. With the axle shifted underneath the truck, you get less of a throw in turning one direction, and more than standard the other way. Rob :smart:

This is true. Also needs longer sway bar links. The 92+ XJ links should do fix ya up.

Also, Canyon wheels, while they have the same B/S, are constructed differently than other Jeep wheels in that the inside circumference is less in diameter than the others. I tried first Canyon wheels on the rear with my disk brakes and they would not clear the caliper w/o using spacers. The Ravines and 10-spoke turbine wheels did.

Thanks for the posts guys. Now I'm really confused.

MJCARENA advises to put washers behind steering stops. Where would I get washers and what exactly are the steering stops?

hornbrod advises to get longer sway bar links. Wouldn't longer links mess with geometry of the lift as a whole? The kit didn't come with longer links so I'm wondering if I'll run into more problems.

NewfieMJ advises to put wheel spacers on.

I might take back to tire shop to get track bar adjusted exactly right then go from there.

I have since installed 32x11.5 on a 3" lift and I get no rubbing . It is very very close to the fender edges , front and rear of the wheel well , but , with some minor trimming , they won't be an issue . I'll try to tag a pic later of the same area you showed above .

My rims are not stock , they have a 4" backspacing , 8" wide inside the lip .

How did you make out ?

I have since installed 32x11.5 on a 3" lift and I get no rubbing . It is very very close to the fender edges , front and rear of the wheel well , but , with some minor trimming , they won't be an issue . I'll try to tag a pic later of the same area you showed above .

Also , my track bar is off more than a 1/4 inch to the left . I have yet to adjust it properly centered .

My rims are not stock , they have a 4" backspacing , 8" wide inside the lip .

How did you make out ? Fixed ?

Same problem, not going to take back to tire shop as got underneath and measured again and driverside is 5' 8/16 from frame and pass side is 5' 10/16 from frame. Its just 1/16th off and I do not see how they could get it exactly. Pass front tire still rubs on sway bar link.

I don't know what to do. I think spacers might be the best answer as even if I get longer sway bar links I think the tire would still rub. Any suggestions?

Options :

a) Spacers , not shims , and they should be no other than hub-centric such as Spidertrax .

B) New rims . Check your local listings for anyone selling 8" wheels with a 5x4.5" lug spacing , and a 4" offset . Even new steels cost only $50 new , they run $90 in my woods . I prefer aluminum wheels because they are hub-centric . My ZJ has steels that are not hub centric , but , have no issue with either ........... on the trails

Test the thoery . Just get a bunch of washers , with the jeep wheels raised , suspension loaded , place washers on 3 of the studs at approx 1/4" thick . Install wheel , turn full crank to the left . Note position of wheel fully cranked against rubbed sway bar link . Better ? Get a or b . Not better , I don't believe you , lol .

BTW , I went and looked for steering stops on the solid 2wd axle , they are not there . Just a bump place on the inner c , no adjustment .

Here's a few reference pics for ya , full left crank , offset wheel (4") Not even close to rubbing

NewfieMJ,

Thanks for the pics and quick response.

I think it is the rims. I have read that spacers cause more stress on the axles, would having these spacers cause me to have to change the bearings more or any other adverse (aka more maintenance) effects?

My most honest opinion , I would not put spacers on a wheel barrow .

That said , there has to be thousands that have with no trouble . Most important part is the hub centric part . If the spacers have these , I would rate them as perfectly safe when properly installed .

Is the spacer really any worse than an offset wheel ? Maybe a little , physics would agree , but I doubt it would wear out bearings noticably faster .

Check your local listings for some wheels , never know what you'll find . 5X4.5 , 4" offset

• 1 month later...

You guys are referencing 4" backset do you mean 4" BackSpacing???

I'm looking at wheels on tire rack and they show backset as like -19mm with 3.74" backspacing etc. Just trying to clarify terms thanks.

How did those spacers work out for you Drase?