Project Turbo Rally Comanche

Ok, I understand many of you are asking yourselves "A turbo Comanche?"...and yes, I said TURBO. This should be a somewhat quick project due to me and my buddy are tag teaming this. He has a lot of experience on building custom engines. So we are hoping this should only take a few weeks to maybe two months at the most...hopefully. For this project, there lie many more projects to even get the Comanche started on, because I am taking the 2.5 and the AX-15 out of his Cherokee and replacing it with the 4.0 H.O. So before the Comanche can get started the following have to take place:

-4.0 needs rebuilt

-Cherokee 2.5 and tranny needs to be lifted out

-ECU and two injector conectors need to be acquired and added

-4.0 and tranny get dropped into Cherokee

THEN....

-Stock 2.5 from Comanche gets pulled and set aside (probably forever)

-New 2.5 gets rebuilt with low compression pistons, bored out, custom exhaust manifold needs to be fabricated

-AX-15 gets new clutch

-Turbo will be fit (placement already figured out)

-Run FMIC, Up-pipe, Down-pipe, intake, oil cooler lines

-AEM FIC/8

-Mega Squirt System

-Full new exhaust

-Custom engine wiring harness

After all the engine insanity, the Comanche is recieving a 4.5" lift and a set of 31's on Cragar soft 8's. The bed is coming off (will be for sale if anyone interested), custom frame tie in roll cage with a sheet metal top extention to add a wrangler back zip window. Cut the bed back to right after the rear wheels and reenforce the frame rails, bit of sheet metal for the tail lights and licence plate. For a front brush/grill guard we havent figured anything out just yet, so if anyone has an idea shoot it to me. The usual front fender cut out, front bushwacker flares. From there is going to be a figure it out as we go if we get ideas, because the last thing on the project is getting the interior because of the custom wiring harness so we have to build a custom guage enclosure and rerun everything in the cab for overhead console, probably a 7 speaker audio system.

Sounds like a lot to get done, but we are going to be putting HOURS upon HOURS of work into all this a day. When we get this complete...Moab anyone? jamminz.gif

It will be interesting to see how it all works out,I haven't decided yet how I'm gonna do the fuel management when I turbo mine. First I was thinking of modding 91+ mpfi then I thought about megasquirt,but then I got to thinking I have a Ford SVO set up that I built for another project but didn't use so I may go hybrid.

Where are you gonna get pistons? I don't know of any aftermarket and a custom set runs around $500

Unless someone did an AX15 conversion that 2.5L has an AX5 hooked to it so you might look into an upgrade,I'm in the middle of gathering parts for my AX15 conversion.

It probably is the AX-5, I just remember spending about 2 hours figureing out how we are going to start this. I will post up pictures of the Comanche, the Cherokee, and the turbo that is going in the Comanche. But, all in all, we have to rebuild two engines, yank two, and pull three. I have been jumping back and forth from two different forums spectrums, so sometimes i may mistake a little bit of wording (like i did with the tranny :oops: ). As for the fuel management, we are going with MPFI with upgraded injectors for a total of four nozzels per injector instead of the stock one

Upgrading to the 4 hole injectors isn't gonna be enough,stock mpfi injectors should be 19# I'm shooting for around 200hp with mine so I'm planning on about 36# injectors. Most likely Bosch brown tops.

My buddy build jeep engines in his sleep, and fully built turbo car engines when he is groggy. He already has a bored out and fully built neon engine, prelude turbo, acura intrega turbo, and a few others i think. We are going to take the engine VERY slowly while we are building it to make sure everything is imaculate so everything will work. Honestly, I am not 100% sure its going to work, but I sure do want to try at this because if everything works out how we plan it to, it's going to be one bad mamba jamba when its done. I have my fingers crossed that he will be able to get this done right, which I mean, I have full faith that he can get everything done perfect, and get everything hooked up and tuned right...its all the other elements that are outta my control that I am worried about. Anyways I know everyone always says "This thread is worthless without pics" so here are some of the engine as it sits now, where we want the turbo to sit (we have connections all around for the custom piping for the exhaust mani and exhaust piping), and some pics of the actual turbo (which is a Greddy GT22V)

This will be interesting to watch. I actually have a fresh turbo I could put to my new comanche. the 4.7 stroker has the machine work and build to support it. Just don't know that it needs it, or if I could squeze the needed intercooler in the engine bay. (No intercooler is not an option)

Keep pictures and build coming!

If you get it done in time, I'll be in Moab from Aug 26th to Sept 12th wheeling!

We are hoping to be done within that time frame, keyword there being HOPING. We have a shop for the forged pistons, crank and rods to support the turbo, we have a spearco intercooler lined up that will fit where we need it, a wastegate and blow-off valve that should work. Only obsticle we have to overcome now is finding a shop that will be able to custom fab all the piping and exhaust manifold that is in the Jacksonville area. I have a shop in Orlando that can do it, we will just have to tow the Comanche down there so they can fab it around everything for the right dimensions. The only major problem I can see me running into is time, money, and resources. Hopefully those problems will be minimal to non existant. Already in external mods, I am looking at a $2000 estimate for fenders, lift, rims, and hood. If anyone has a cowl hood they want to see for the Rally Comanche cause, please speak up :D . More to follow shortly with any details and updates. As update roll around, any progress to the 'manche, pics will follow for all yall pic hounds :roll: .

I am going down to Titan Motorsports in Orlando for all my custom work. When I asked what custom work they could do for me, they answered "anything you need". They haven't given me a price on the pistons and rods yet because I need to take them a sample for them to base it off of. I am going to see them on Firday hopefully so I will have some better answers then.