exhaust info request

I'm looking to replace, or get my exaust replaced. i think its leaking from the headers but I'm not sure. there is a pressure cooker sound coming from somewhere near them. it was welded about a year ago by the muffler and thats going too.

I'm going to take it to the local exhaust guy, but I'm not sure how to check if its the headers leaking or not.....i don't want him telling me i need new ones if i don't.

any suggestions on how to do this?

oh yeah, its for my 92....dual

thanks in advance jamminz.gif

paul

There's likely a crack in the exhaust manifold, the common place that they crack is where the pipes from each port come together. Just get a flashlight and look around them to see if you see a crack running around the pipes. To prevent this from happening again in the future have the exhaust shop put in a piece of flex pipe before the cat. This will allow the exhaust to move and prevent any cracks from reforming.

There's likely a crack in the exhaust manifold, the common place that they crack is where the pipes from each port come together. Just get a flashlight and look around them to see if you see a crack running around the pipes. To prevent this from happening again in the future have the exhaust shop put in a piece of flex pipe before the cat. This will allow the exhaust to move and prevent any cracks from reforming.

:agree:

• 3 weeks later...

ok back to this post.

i have the $ to order a new manifold

my muffler is good..it is a flowmaster with the 2 pipes coming out of it.

my cat is good

i just need the manifold and the new pipes probably..

what have you guys used and where can i order

fyi:: previous owner has a aftermarket cheapie manifold on now with the flex pipes....

thanks guys jamminz.gif

Paul

Just double check the years. Alot seem to say they will fit the renix and HO years. The collector pipe, where it connects to the down pipe is angled different between the renix and HO years. One points almost straight down (i think the renix) and the other angles toward the drivers side (like the one shown in your link)

I'm no expert but the price seems fair...but i do question the whole cut it in half thing. Is he going to cut it at the collecter and weld all the tubes together then reweld the collecter back on? is that what you mean? Ive done tons of welding in my time and get a little scared rewelding up cracks near old welds, the problem or crack will most likley move down next to your new welds eventually. I mean i doubt there was anything wrong with the old tubes or welds but some other stress caused it to break in the first place. I would look also into relieving the stress that caused the prob in the first place (bad motor mounts, trans mounts or missaligned in the first place and just bolted together to get back on the road kinda thing). I guess what I'm trying to say is that you may save some bucks with repairing the one you have but it might not last long with out further inspection of key elements. Oh and I'm not sure if i would trust someone to cut off a flange like that and just eyeball it going back together and expect everything to bolt back up with out any stresses. Not sure if that helps or not but good luck with it what ever you do. :wrench:

Ya thats what he said he was gonna do.

Ixthink theres an aftermarket on there cuz it has flex pipe on it and i don't think the oems had that. I would get a new one today. But I'm not really sure on which one to get. I gotta order it online and i don't wanna have to return it. I'm not worried on the installation. It looks pretty easy.

Yes good thinking on the rewelding. I should just get a new one. I don't know.

I guess I'm gonna live with the pressure cooker sound for now or until i can get a def match n order it up. Thanks guys