Wife wants...

jeepcoma

A Grand Wagoneer for next winter (to keep the Camaro convertible in the garage).

Don't know much about them. Any years to avoid or look for? AMC 360 would be nice, to pair with my Javelin's 304. I did a quick google search and founds some resto sites selling for $40k+ :eek: :eek: Which is about 40 times what I'd want to pay :yes: . Can "good" ones be found for a reasonable price or are they collectors items now?

If you find one with the 258 6 cylinder, and its nice, don't pass it up. The one I had all the power it needed to go anywhere in stock form. If it still has the stock carb though you may want to spring for the holley/weber 2 bbl.... makes drivability much nicer. It was probably THE most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. So good luck with your search.

To answer your question...

All of them after 1983 are 360s. They get AWFUL gas mileage in stock form. But turn heads.

If you are really interested in one... take a long read at IFSJA.org. There is more collective knowledge about them there, than one person could ever need. And they are quite friendly, especially to folks wanting to join their lunacy.

Deals are around... but they can be harder to find. But with rising gas prices.. you may see more of them being sold cheaply.

Thanks for the info. I think the Wagonmaster site was one of the first I came across in my searches, to say "sticker shock" is an understatement (who knows though, maybe my MJ will be worth $40k one day? :rotf: hahah). I'll have to keep an eye out over the next several months, maybe something will fall in my lap.

I had the 258 in my AMC Eagle, wasn't a bad motor at all once I fixed all the vacuum lines, rebuilt the card, and worked all the bugs out. I did the "regular" mods like the HEI swap and the Nutter Bypass, and drooling over the Clifford Performance catalog, and eventually swapped in a Weber 38 DGAS (the "hi-po" version of the popular 32/36 progressive carb) that really woke things up. Still though, seems like the Wagoneer would be a LOT of weight for that motor to lug around; the 360s were pretty choked in stock form but can make some nice power without too much trouble.

Come to think of it, I really miss my Eagle and always wanted another or an SX/4 (coincidentally the new Suzuki SX4 looks to be a complete copy of the old AMC) with a manual transmission. Hmm sounds like I have a lot to search for!