2x4 Basics Workbench Build

terrawombat

I started this this kit: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200226224

I got on sale last summer for $75 and free shipping. Got one for me and one for my Dad. Finally got around to making a table out of it once I purchased a mill and needed a place to mount it. The dimensions of my table are roughly 6' x 3' to fit in the corner of my machine shop room (which isn't very big to begin with). I used some old pressure treated 2x4's I had lying around and spent another $65 on 1/2" 4-ply plywood and 1/2" MDF for the top sheet. I didn't get any photographs of the build in-progress, but it's pretty straight-forward.

Here's a shot of the the framing I did for the top shelf. Unfortunately, I didn't have any more 2x4s long enough to do a true X pattern, so I made due with what I had:

The mill will find its permanent home here. The chopsaw will be relocated elsewhere so that I still have a sizable portion of free work-space

Also found a cheap set of screwdrivers for $8.50 total at Sears last week. Not the greatest, but they'll serve their purpose:

Still to come: Additional shelving on top of the table (came with the kit, just don't have any more 2x4's long enough), 12-outlet power strip, LCD computer monitor wall mounted and connected to a free PC I got from work, and pegboard to line the back where I'll get storage bins for nuts/bolts/random small parts.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the sturdiness of the table. I made sure each corner was square and took my time. I will likely be buying another one of these sets and building a monster 8'x4' table in my woodshop room in the near future.

$25 more worth of lumber and now we've got some shelving!

Much like automan Rob, I've begun to start a little collection of factory service manuals in paperback. Going to hopefully use the middle shelf for all of those as I accumulate them. My desktop PC should fit on the top shelf in the left corner. All I need to install is the 12-outlet power strip and the LCD monitor on a swivel. About time to start cluttering this workbench up!

My manual collection can't hold a candle to that of Jpnjim.

Maybe I am being a pessimist here, but, couldn't you have made the bench and shelves out of just wood? I'd think it would be a bit stronger with 4x4's instead of plastic. No?

Excellent upgrade none the less.

Rob L. :cheers:

Maybe I am being a pessimist here, but, couldn't you have made the bench and shelves out of just wood? I'd think it would be a bit stronger with 4x4's instead of plastic. No?

I probably could have. I'm no woodworker, though, so the thought of having a DIY kit that just requires some 2x4's, a power drill, chop saw, and plywood was very enticing. Usually when I try to tackle woodworking projects, I wind up getting extremely frustrated because I can never get anything square and I'll give up. This kit made it an absolute breeze. Plus, it came with every screw that I needed plus some hangers for tools, extension cords, and hoses. After all was said and done, I think it was worth it - I think if I tried to do it myself, it wouldn't have come out looking half as nice.

As for the manual collection, I don't have much yet. A '92XJ/MJ service manual and a couple of ZJ manuals. Also have a Mopar stroker book and a differential repair book. One day I'll be able to fill the shelf :D

I probably could have. I'm no woodworker, though, so the thought of having a DIY kit that just requires some 2x4's, a power drill, chop saw, and plywood was very enticing. Usually when I try to tackle woodworking projects, I wind up getting extremely frustrated because I can never get anything square and I'll give up. This kit made it an absolute breeze. Plus, it came with every screw that I needed plus some hangers for tools, extension cords, and hoses. After all was said and done, I think it was worth it - I think if I tried to do it myself, it wouldn't have come out looking half as nice.

As for the manual collection, I don't have much yet. A '92XJ/MJ service manual and a couple of ZJ manuals. Also have a Mopar stroker book and a differential repair book. One day I'll be able to fill the shelf :D

Why don't you skip the paper an just put one flash drive with all the PDFs you would ever want up on the shelf?

You've seen my website collection of FSMs right?

Why don't you skip the paper an just put one flash drive with all the PDFs you would ever want up on the shelf?

The paperback versions are better to take into the can with me.

I've got several electronic PDF FSMs ranging from 1988 to 2001 for MJs, XJs, and ZJs. I love the search feature on those, but there are many, many service manuals that I cannot find in electronic formats - like body diagnostic manuals, for instance.

What's the link to your site? I've been there before, but don't remember the URL.

The paperback versions are better to take into the can with me.

What's the link to your site? I've been there before, but don't remember the URL.

I take the laptop with me to the can. :plop:

I lost a bunch in my site meltdown, and I'm trying to add them again as I come across them:

http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/

And here I was trying to figure out why you would be building a 2WD axle on a bench.

You don't build up 2WD axles?

keep an open mind! anything is possible!

the off road racing community uses 2wd axles all the time!

nice work bench! :cheers:

Got a couple more things installed on the bench. Need to start cleaning up the wiring. I also want to get a wireless keyboard and mouse so I can put them up and out of the way and free up some workbench real estate. The LCD is on the smaller side, but it's also a TV so if I ever get cable down here, I can hook that up too.

That idea of a nice bench is great. I can't count the times I wanted to research something on the net while out in the garage. I have really gotten used to using laptops though. I think the PC is going away in my eyes. But if they are cheap or free and just used for the internet why not. I like your bench thanks for the pics.

That idea of a nice bench is great. I can't count the times I wanted to research something on the net while out in the garage.

'Tis why there are surplus sale toughbooks. 2nd year in a row I bought one, $45 each time at auction... Touchscreen, fully rugged, backlit rubber waterproof keyboard, all the goodies. Built to take anything, so the hot/cold dusty garage is nothing. I use mine for running CC while I am out there, and have some CPU speakers ran to it for Pandora. No CD drive, so I just jump drived all the FSM's onto it.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25558

60557_146499825387513_100000824882082_209667_6645100_n.jpg

Its a bit slow, but the price was right, and it gets the job done.

Rob L.