Fuel pump

Don't have to, I've changed pumps twice without doing so. My first Comanche I bought from the dealer-major bucks. I bought the cheapo for about $70 or so(only one I could find in stock) for the current Comanche and I haven't had any problems with it(knock wood).

you CAN do it without dropping the tank. However, dropping it is the only way to be 100% sure you did the job right. And you know when putting everything back together you're not going to have to re-do the job due to a bad seal.

When you buy the pump, make sure you buy a new strainer as well. Not only is it a good idea, but most fuel pump warranties are void unless you buy a new strainer to go with it. and of course grab a filter while your at it if you havent changed that in a while.

Not to say i have :hijack: but anyone know where i can either get an OEM pump or at least an aftermarket one that isn't lout as hell?!?! The new pump that the used car dealer installed right before i bought my 89 roars like crazy.

Not to say i have :hijack: but anyone know where i can either get an OEM pump or at least an aftermarket one that isn't lout as hell?!?! The new pump that the used car dealer installed right before i bought my 89 roars like crazy.
:hijack:

May not be your case, but my new to me 90 MJ has a problem with the strainer clogging, very quiet at startup, but after about 1/2 hour the strainer clogs and the pump gets VERY noisy. Eventually will starve the engine for fuel.

Had a Dodge minivan did the same, would run great until had to work it a little, like uphill on the interstate.

Rusty junk in the plastic fuel tank on that one, I didn't know that was why the pump was noisy, thought that was just normal. After replacing the tank sock, all quiet.

If the pump is noisy, and runs this way for too long, could lead to pump failure.

Keep in mind, the flow of gas thru the pump cools it, lubes (?) it, keeps it working.

Don't know what the rusty junk was or what causes it in a plastic tank, but I had it and it caused my problem. My theory is it came with each fill up, and is a added benefit of the ethanol in our gas. Or I could have just been lucky enuf to have gotten a bad batch of gas. Gasoline storage tanks ARE steel. soapbox.gif