91 Wrangler

jimoshel

I'm talking with a fella about his '91 YJ. Gonna take a look at it tomorrow. Not being familiar with the YJ, I'm looking for any advice, suggestions on them. Has the 2.5 engine, standard trans. don't know which one yet. $900. :dunno:

The frame likes to rot around the rearmost leaf spring shackles. Take a hammer with you and tap on the inside and outside of the frame rail on each side. It's pretty easily accessible to do this test. The body tub likes to rust and rot all over the place. Look under the JEEP stamps in the tub by the doors on each side. Where the rollbar mounts behind the front seats is another place for the tub to rot out.

As with any Jeep, the drive train will last forever, but these are really a niche vehicle. I've had two of them and gotten rid of both within a year of owning them. They make very average daily drivers if you have nothing else available to drive. They don't ride well and the gas mileage is pretty poor. You can pretty much run the 4-cylinder with your foot to the floor in 5th gear and never have to worry about getting a speeding ticket on the highway :D

I had an '89YJ 2.5L and a '91YJ 4.0L - both manuals. There are times when I miss them (like the first warm day of the year with the top and doors off), but I don't find them all that practical. I consider 1991 to be the best year for the YJ. Newest one you can get with the slanting rollbars :D