Which seal is leaking in this pic?

I want to replace the fluid in the diff and since it's open I might as well and try to fix this leak. Which seal(s) do you guys think are leaking in this picture? Yes I know the load sensing rod is in the wrong position. This pic is old.

:agree: Since the leak blowby is fairly equal on both axle tubes from the pumpkin outward, don't see how it could be anything else. Probably a small groove worn into the pinion yoke over time, allowing fluid to seep past the shaft seal. Just fixed the same problem by replacing the yoke with the stronger u-bolt yoke, and a new seal.

Now that I have thought about it mine looked like that when the R main seal was a leaking bad. I sprayed the bottom side of the truck with a degreaser and pressure washed it. I replaced the seal at the same time and mine has not looked like that since. Clean it off and see if it starts to return. If it does strart trackin it.Thats not fresh stuff on there.

Thanks for the replies guys. The pinion seal is totally dry, no seepage at all. Any other ideas?

It has to be the pinion seal or the cover gasket. There are no seals in the axles at the housing -- the axle seals are at the outer ends, at the hubs. The outer ends on both sides in your photo are dry.

Thanks for the replies guys. The pinion seal is totally dry, no seepage at all. Any other ideas?

It has to be the pinion seal or the cover gasket. There are no seals in the axles at the housing -- the axle seals are at the outer ends, at the hubs. The outer ends on both sides in your photo are dry.

It's certainly not the pinion seal, that entire area is completely dry and grease free.

The axle tubes are pressed into the housing and welded all the way around right? So it's not possible to be leaking there correct?

Look at the hose that runs up to the chassis by the sensing rod. It has a polymer connection point by the axle tube. That was where mine was leaking. Also if you notice, the brake line connection point is covered in oil. My guess would be the connector. I just changed my gasket on my D44 and that was where I saw fresh oil. When that rear end heats up, that oil gets thinner and finds places to come out. Clean off both sides of the axle with a wire brush, then spray it down. I think you will see what I mean

Look at the hose that runs up to the chassis by the sensing rod. It has a polymer connection point by the axle tube. That was where mine was leaking. Also if you notice, the brake line connection point is covered in oil. My guess would be the connector. I just changed my gasket on my D44 and that was where I saw fresh oil. When that rear end heats up, that oil gets thinner and finds places to come out. Clean off both sides of the axle with a wire brush, then spray it down. I think you will see what I mean

That's your vent tube and brings up a good point. If the tube gets clogged no venting, more pressure, and oily fumes will look for an escape anywhere they can find it. Pull the vent tube off the axle and make sure you can blow thru it, also make sure the axle hose fitting is clear.