Comamche with Select-trac?

To be completely sure, you should get the numbers off the transfer case tag. its a little round tag on the backside of the case toward the top, the number you should look for will be three digits ending with a "J" like 242J, 231J, 207J....like these. Then you will know for sure.

I may be wrong here but I'm confidant I will promptly be corrected if I am. 1986 MJ Select Trac had the 228 transfer case. 1987 and '88 did not offer Select Trac. The 1989 models with Select Trac used the 242 TC. I don't know but I would assume ( and we all know that defination ) that the 90,91 and 92 models also used the 242 TC with Select Trac.

86 offered a select trac for sure. No other year's dealership brochure makes any mention of a select trac offer. But since Jeep was desperate to sell Jeeps and the t-cases are practically interchangeable, I'd bet you could get them special ordered.

I may be wrong here but I'm confidant I will promptly be corrected if I am. 1986 MJ Select Trac had the 228 transfer case. 1987 and '88 did not offer Select Trac. The 1989 models with Select Trac used the 242 TC. I don't know but I would assume ( and we all know that defination ) that the 90,91 and 92 models also used the 242 TC with Select Trac.

You are correct about the '86 and the 228 Selec-Trac case, but I don't think the 242 was offered in the MJ in any year.

You are correct about the '86 and the 228 Selec-Trac case, but I don't think the 242 was offered in the MJ in any year.

Didn't read all the paragraph. In the 1989 FSM it describes the 242. That was where I stopped reading and made my assumption. In the next sentence it states the 242 was only used in model 70's. ASSUME= To make a @$$ out of U and ME.. The censor won't let that thru but you know what I mean. :thwak:

I've seen at least one guy, maybe 2 that swear their MJ originally came with the 242. Haven't yet seen any documentation for it though. as I said earlier, it's not impossible that the 242 could have been custom ordered, I just haven't seen any proof yet. :dunno:

They are easy enough to convert though. I've got one myself. :D