1992 VIN number lookup ?

Hello Comanche Brothers and Sisters,

I'm new to the Jeep world and am on the hunt for the code to 1992 VIN's.

Does anyone know how to decipher a 1992 VIN number? I have found the break-down for all years prior to 1992, just not 1992 and later.

Thank you for any help,

Doug

Must be using my site huh? I never did get around to adding the later years.

Another thing you can do is call up the dealer with the VIN and ask for info. The parts dept is usually pretty cool, and they can still look most of those later MJ's.

Rob L.

Automan2164, I was using http://www.comanchemj.1hwy.com/custom3.html. Is that your site? If so, great info there. Thank you.

johnnyc, I don't know the build date yet. I'm going to see the truck tomorrow. This is a prospective purchase that seems expensive to me, but if there is no rust and the reported body dings are minor and fixable, then I won't be able to help it - It's a sexy looker even in the crappy pics. It's reported as a 1991 LWB 4x4 L6 HO Auto Dana44 (factory ordered) with 200K miles. I have read that many Comanche's of this vintage have the Dana44 as part of the Big Ton (Metric Ton) and/or tow package . . . so, I'm really hoping this has both as I plan to do a little wood hauling.

dasbulliwagen, Thank you for the offer. Will your information show how this particular truck was outfitted i.e., the Metric Ton pkg, Tow pkg, Select-Trac? I'll PM the VIN to you now.

I'm a Jeep virgin so any tips on what to look for are welcome. I know to look for rust under the carpet and in the nooks and crannies of the rear fender well, but that's about it. Also, I'm told every one of these inline 6's has an exhaust leak and not to worry about it.

You guys are great! What a forum! Thanks for all of the response. This whole Comanche experience feels like I've just stumbled upon Disneyland as a 10 year old.

hay dasbulliwagen if i told you the vin and milage on my mj could you get me that info?

It depends on the year of your truck. The earlier models the lookup doesnt work as well. If you have an 86 , I probably can't get you any info, if its an 87 or 88, I might be able to get some info, but probably not a full build sheet. 89 and up should get a full info sheet. Youre welcome to try sending me your VIN and milage, and Ill send you what I can.

Automan2164, I was using http://www.comanchemj.1hwy.com/custom3.html. Is that your site? If so, great info there. Thank you.

johnnyc, I don't know the build date yet. I'm going to see the truck tomorrow. This is a prospective purchase that seems expensive to me, but if there is no rust and the reported body dings are minor and fixable, then I won't be able to help it - It's a sexy looker even in the crappy pics. It's reported as a 1991 LWB 4x4 L6 HO Auto Dana44 (factory ordered) with 200K miles. I have read that many Comanche's of this vintage have the Dana44 as part of the Big Ton (Metric Ton) and/or tow package . . . so, I'm really hoping this has both as I plan to do a little wood hauling.

dasbulliwagen, Thank you for the offer. Will your information show how this particular truck was outfitted i.e., the Metric Ton pkg, Tow pkg, Select-Trac? I'll PM the VIN to you now.

I'm a Jeep virgin so any tips on what to look for are welcome. I know to look for rust under the carpet and in the nooks and crannies of the rear fender well, but that's about it. Also, I'm told every one of these inline 6's has an exhaust leak and not to worry about it.

You guys are great! What a forum! Thanks for all of the response. This whole Comanche experience feels like I've just stumbled upon Disneyland as a 10 year old.

The options list if it comes up depending on the year, should show what it comes with like youre describing. I can only pass on what Chrysler gives me though.

hay dasbulliwagen if i told you the vin and milage on my mj could you get me that info?

It depends on the year of your truck. The earlier models the lookup doesnt work as well. If you have an 86 , I probably can't get you any info, if its an 87 or 88, I might be able to get some info, but probably not a full build sheet. 89 and up should get a full info sheet. Youre welcome to try sending me your VIN and milage, and Ill send you what I can.

ok thanks allot ill pm you the info later in the day. its an 89 so there should be some stuff there for it accoding to what your saying.

If you want to know about the "Big Ton" package, count the number of leafs on one side. "Big Ton"/MetricTon had 5 leafs.

Also check the width of the rear brake shoe. Factory Big Ton had 2.5 inch wide drums, not 1.75 inch wide. Also, the Big Ton package only came on a Long Bed, 6 cyl, and automatic transmission.