Comanche X what tranny and a few other questions

I have a 86 comanche x with the 2.5L and a 5 spd, I'm just wondering what tranny it is so I can order an adapter for when i do a engine swap (modded 302) Since i want to have at least 35" ltbs or bigger under it and that 2.5L may not be up to the task, also gonna move the 2.5 into a 86 xj. I know its gonna be alot of work hopefully not alot of money, i have most of what i need to do in spare parts and shop equipment. Also how hard would it be to lift, and put in a d44 in the front (out of 89 2wd mj). the 302 is actually in the box of the truck under that junk canopy, would be working on it now but ill let the pics do the talking and that was 2 weeks ago, we got another foot and half. Another question were the roll bars factory or aftermarket on the x, sorry for all the questions as well

ahh, well the 2.5s got to go to a xj with a blown motor, and i figured it would be cool also give the mj a little more power. What tranny would you reccomend then, also the 302 has the tranny with it as well. Also have a 89 f250 for romping around farm that can use for parts, and the 89? 2wd mj(blown motor) 5 spd as well.

Another question were the roll bars factory or aftermarket on the x, sorry for all the questions as well

With all the white stuff, hard to tell. If the rear roll bar legs tie into the forward slant of the wheel wells, it's probably factory. Many 86's got the factory roll bar as they were all LWB models and a cheap option at the time.

put a ford transmission of your choice, designed to work with a 302 in it.

no sense spending money on an adapter when you already need to look for a transmission now, and something is out there that will work with the motor you're going to put in. the proper transmission will cost you less than the wrong transmission+adapter...and either way, your driveshaft will have to be modified.

I think I caught that it is a 2wd....you already need a new trans to convert to 4wd as well.

so, just get what you want, that will work, with no adapters...and make it fit.

oh, that's a factory roll bar btw. lots of snow on it, but those welds and the angle of the rear bars tell me it's factory. it's not actually a roll bar, either...it's thin, and won't help you much if you roll it. just there for looks.

another note.

I ran a 2wd ax5 in a 1986 comanche custom that originally had a 2.8l v6 in it....I swapped a '96 camaro buick 3800 that was mildly built with a .030 bore and a competition cam into it, because I wanted to keep the stock jeep bell housing.

end result....5 blown ax5 transmissions and 5 dana 35 rear ends later, I finally ran out of parts in my parts pile to fix it. the transmissions lasted me 1000 miles, same as rear ends...now I've got a 2wd '96 camaro 3800 world class T5, and a '93 chevy s10 4x4 t5 that I need to combine to get a bolt-in world class 4x4 T5 trans. then it won't break.

but basically I'm saying...that 3800 has less power and torque than a 302...and ate these transmissions for a light snack.

I. Also how hard would it be to lift, and put in a d44 in the front (out of 89 2wd mj).

Are you saying you want to swap a D44 in? and that the 44 is out of an 89MJ? If I read that right, no MJ came with a D44 in the front.

ahh thanks for the replies, glad to know not to rely on that roll bar, I meant d40 not d44 sorry lol, and i mean the rear axle of the 89 to the front of the 86? heard somethings about steering issues.

Glad i didnt decide to try to go with the 302/ ax5, still not sure what tranny to go with either, but i figured a v8 swap would be a good learning experience for a 19 yr old. Once again thanks for the replies, now i have some ideas for when the snow melts. Hope to update my build by summers end if i get to work on it lol.

It would be a dana 44 not a 40,how do you intend to make a rear axle work up front?

It can be done but I don't see how it would be cost effective.

guess i had it right the first time and with great dificulty I guess. I don't know how well that front d30 would hold up to 35"s and If i ever decide to go bigger tire size idk? is there any builds of someone putting a d44 up front. Ill put in as much work as possible, not sure how much it will run me tho.