260 upgrade to 297 U Joints....?

Alrighty, well i offically destroyed my 1st U joint today obliterating my Drivers side axle shafts. so in the mist of this situation I figured maybe a shaft upgrade should be in my future. I'm wondering what year shafts i should be on the lookout for and any other tips and track to helping my D30 stay strong. I don't do anything TOO hardcore but I do get in a situation now and then. My current setup is 31" tires with a Spartan Lunchbox locker in the front end (that was likely my reason for the failure today). I plan on getting some spare shafts now to keep around as well.

Thanks for any info :wrench:

That's the same thing that I did to my first axle,I ended up just changing the entire axle for a non disco with the bigger joints,cost me $150

If you like the disco I've heard of some 95 YJs being available with 297s

Or you need to go non disco,any XJ with ABS should have 297s or any XJ after 1995 should have 297s

Yeah with me running on the street a good bit with my Locker ive kinda come to like the CAD. I have connections to some other shafts with 260 U Joints and may just have 2 keep some spares around for now. I don't have any plans to go with larger tires in the near future so i SHOULD be ok with keeping the 260s i suppose, If i ever come across a deal on a set of 297 shafts then ill likely jump on it though... ;)

I don't think the disco makes much difference with a locker,you figure that most cherokees were non disco and lots of of cherokee guys run lockers with no issues.

I know a lot of guys running spartans and they say you don't even know its there with the non disco axle.

It doesn't take much to snap a 260 so I'm glad I got rid of mine,if you go to 297 axles then you can upgrade to 760s

I just did away with the CAD on mine. Pulled everything out and off, screwed a 1/4 steel plate over the opening with some form-a-gasket and added an oil seal on the passenger side of the diff. That way I can use a single piece shaft, which are cheap and plentiful. I have never been able to find a 95 YJ with the larger shafts in a yard. A guy I wheel with has a 95 and has the larger joints, but both 95 YJs I found in a junkyard had the smaller ones.

Shafts with the larger joints can be found in any XJ with ABS. any XJ 97 or newer and some ZJs. If the ABS tone ring is in the way for your style unit bearing it will come off with a few good whacks of a hammer.

Also, after using Duralast and DuraLast Gold, Neapco and Neapco Bruteforce, Spicer 5-297x and Spicer 5-760x joints, I swear by the 760x. FAR stronger than any of the other ones and still a decent price around $25-$30.

I have never been able to find a 95 YJ with the larger shafts in a yard. A guy I wheel with has a 95 and has the larger joints, but both 95 YJs I found in a junkyard had the smaller ones.

Guess I'm just lucky. :D

I got mine out of a pair of YJ axles that fell on my doorstep (literally)

A friend of a friend,

some random Jeep guy knocked on my door one night & asked if I wanted a pair of Wrangler axles.

I didn't want the C-clip 35, but they were newish 4cyl axles (4.10's),

I'm thinking the set cost me $150,

in 1998, when they were just 3 years old. :thumbsup:

Got the carrier to do the 4.56 swap in my MJ,

297 disco shafts,

later model knuckles & low mileage set of bearings/rotors (also eventually went on the MJ)

and a spare set of HP4.10 gears.

The craptactular 4.10 C-clip D35 went into my daily driver LWB MJ,

and was a good excuse to weld on some perches & do a SOA....

even though it was still 2wd.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

(thou I haven't seen good luck like that in a while :doh: ).

• 2 months later...

Yes, so are ZJ shafts with the u joints, and even ZJ CV shafts will swap right in.

On ABS shafts the tone ring may interfere with unit bearings (depending on year unit bearing), but a few good hits with a hammer will knock that ring right off and then it will fit.