Tech Report: Emissions

Here in Kalifornistan, we must pass a bi-annual emissions test to renew registration. If you fail, especially with a "polluter profile" vehicle, the DMV will make the rest of your life miserable.

Two years ago, my HC emissions were borderline, and I thought it might be because, for some unknown reason, my MJ always runs cold (even with the right thermostat, etc. etc (see separate thread)). But as this next test loomed, I thought I would throw out my preconceptions. On my last Baja trip, in early November, I ran two cans of FI cleaner through in successive tanks full, and picked up a noticeable amount of power. Then, before the test in January, I ran a can of Sea Foam, then a fresh tank of fuel. My HC emissions result dropped to 50% of the previous result, and my NOx was lower as well.

I suggested it to my daughter for her Cherokee, and she reported an immediate improvement in power and driveability as well.

Color me happy!

When I took the 88 in for smog testing so i could register it in my name, the shop owner tested it before attempting to adjust anything and it failed as a Gross Polluter in the CA system. Thanks a lot Brian!! So now I guess I get to look forward to bi-annual testing as well. :wall:

P.S. If you still have those factory tow hooks, let me know. Mark

When I took the 88 in for smog testing so i could register it in my name, the shop owner tested it before attempting to adjust anything and it failed as a Gross Polluter in the CA system. Thanks a lot Brian!! So now I guess I get to look forward to bi-annual testing as well. :wall:

P.S. If you still have those factory tow hooks, let me know. Mark

I do Mark. PM me and let's get'er done.

I'm leaving town in 10 days for a three month fishing expedition, so everything is rocket sled city these days.

Jim

When they label your vehicle as a bi-annual test vehicle...by any chance after you come back with better than the average test results do they let you return to just an annual test. I'm a NJ state inspector and we don't do the biannual so I was just wondering.

When they label your vehicle as a bi-annual test vehicle...by any chance after you come back with better than the average test results do they let you return to just an annual test. I'm a NJ state inspector and we don't do the biannual so I was just wondering.

Nope. Apparently there is no redemption here. Once you've been declared An Enemy of the State, then rehabilitation is not an option.

Is there no exemption for vehicles over a certain age??

Yes. Back in 1998 or so, when they passed the emissions test legislation they exempted all vehicles over 25 years old (i.e.1973 and earlier). It was originally a rolling exemption, recalculated every two years. So 1975 and older got a Get Out of Jail Free Card as well.

Then, as bureaucrats do, they realized they were leaving too much money on the table, so they terminated the rolling exemption portion of the law. So 1975 and earlier is the limit.

Know we have to do a smog check every two years on 4 or 5 year old cars. How does it change if you are over limit on HC and can not get it down below limit?

Actually, vehicles <5 or so years old are exempt, as their PC systems must be backed with a 5+ year warranty. So any vehicle in model years 1976-2004 (or so) will all be subject to testing. If you're over any of the limits, and can't get it down, then AFAIK you are totally hosed. That's why I was so thrilled and reported my result with engine "cleaning."

As Mark said, don't get on the "gross polluter" list, or the DMV will have you drawn and quartered, plus take your firstborn.

Is there no exemption for vehicles over a certain age??

Yes. Back in 1998 or so, when they passed the emissions test legislation they exempted all vehicles over 25 years old (i.e.1973 and earlier). It was originally a rolling exemption, recalculated every two years. So 1975 and older got a Get Out of Jail Free Card as well.

Then, as bureaucrats do, they realized they were leaving too much money on the table, so they terminated the rolling exemption portion of the law. So 1975 and earlier is the limit.

Massachusetts (little commifornoia) used to have a 15 year rolling exemption,

so 84's were deemed exempt in 1999.

Then in Oct 1999 they changed systems (went to treadmills), and started emission testing even year vehicles on even years, and odd year vehicles on odd years.

When 2000 rolled around, they un-exempted all the 84's, saying 'oh, 1984's were just exempt in 1999, because they are even year vehicles :roll: .

Luckily (for now atleast), there is a happy ending to this story,

in October 2009 the lease ran out on the equipment, software & service provided for the treadmill system,

and Mass decided to abandon the program. :banana:

Now, all that is done here is a plug in OBD II system check.

If you have a 95', or older, non OBDII vehicle,

you get by with a visual and safety check. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Most vehicles in Mass start to turn to dust by 15-20 years old here anyway, so they seem to be willing to overlook us for now.

The way California's budget is headed, maybe someday they will also abandon older vehicle testing as a cost saving measure. :dunno: