ZJ 4.0 HO swap to XJ '89 Renix?

500 MJ

I know this is a Tech question, but it has nothing to do with an MJ so I'm putting it up here...

I recently came upon an '89 XJ for sale with a bad 4.0L, still runs but knocks. The Jeep is in good shape otherwise and is for sale for $600. I'm wondering if I can take the good motor I have in my '94 ZJ (bad trans) and swap it into the '89 XJ? I'm planning on swapping the head over to the Renix setup (I've got a few spares) but I'm wondering if there are variations in the block that will mess things up?

Thanks in Advance!

- Brent

Thanks Guys,

Thats what I figured, the brackets and whatnot would all get swapped over to make the HO block conform to the Renix setup.

I looked up the two different blocks on RockAuto.com and I did see that they had different part numbers, they mention a difference in the Crankshaft Pilot Hole (thats for the Pilot Bushing?) Both Jeeps are Automatics so it shouldn't matter there...

It also lists out the addition of the Knock Sensor hole in the Renix description. I actually have had that unhooked on the '90 MJ cause the sensor is all cracked and it still runs fine so I might not do anything there.

Correy, do you still have that Renix motor up for grabs if for whatever reason this doesn't work out?

Yah, I would be using a Renix head and manifolds. The only HO parts would be the block itself and all of the moving internal parts.

I bought the Jeep, its at my house now so something IS going to happen here, whatever it is... I ended up cutting a deal for $500 for it.

Priority #1 is to rip into the knocking Renix motor and see what we have to start with there...

ok so your using the block, so there will be no H.O. about it then. Like posted only diff are acc brackets and crank pilot hole, auto should be fine though, not like what I had a problem with when doing that manual 4wd swap and had to have a custom bushing made. I'm about to do the same thing in my MJ, debating using the h.o. head and intake, or swapping my head and intake, ideally my renix head is junk, and the h.o head is missing, so either why need a head, and so plan to use the h.o set up and pick up a head, being as I want the hp for my trail rig, now you being just wanting to get the xj going would be a manner of swapping everything and should be straight forward. and so i lost my train of thought i think I made a point if not disregard, been a early mourning.