Tell me about propane.

possum

DC might know a lil.. but I say do a search on Pirate, and look at some of the manufacturers web sites out there. Where I work at they have 4.3 Pane powered fork trucks :eek: I can't wait for one of the newer ones to come up for auction so I can buy the setup :brows:

DC might know a lil.. but I say do a search on Pirate, and look at some of the manufacturers web sites out there. Where I work at they have 4.3 Pane powered fork trucks :eek: I can't wait for one of the newer ones to come up for auction so I can buy the setup :brows:

like a 4.3L engine on propane? or should i just be quiet? (know nothing about 'pane)

In the US you're more likely to see propane on forklifts or other machinery. Never caught on like it did here; as the government used to offer a tax rebate when you converted your vehicle that was valued at $1000 - it would cover the conversion easily.

What do you want to know? I'll convert my 4-oh as soon as I get off my @$$ and make an adapter for the TB...

propane never caught on down here, i don't really now why. I know a few ppl that used to run it back in the early 90's and got rid of it because there wasnt much difference cost wise between running propane and gasoline. with the loss of horsepower it just wasnt worth it. but now i have no idea what the cost savings would be.

better for the environment and you can BBQ off of ur fuel. a loss of HP might be worth it, now that the systems are a lot more advanced from my understanding, the loss of HP might be minimal

The kit I am looking at is the one from www.gotpropane.com for the small block chevys. They say HP loss is zero to not even noticeable, some cases they say there was a horsepower gain. Carrying fuel doesn't bother me very much I would just get two forktruck tanks and make sure they are secure in the bed. Maybe make a cool safety enclosure for them. I dunno still sounds alright to me. I like the idea of gas not spilling all over if I roll.

Properly setup you will lose no horsepower. Milage decreases slightly, BUT, given that propane costs me half as much as gasoline I don't care. If you shave your heads to increase the compression ratio, you can get even more power out of it... It's equivalent to 105~ octane.

You have true all-angle operation, decreased wiring (almost ziltch if you want), and it atomizes far better allowing for a lower idle (and lugging), and decreased carbon buildup and emissions.

My whole setup so far has cost about $100 or something. 180L~ tank, regulator, vac lock off, mixer... Just need to build that adapter and crimp some hoses. I'm going this route as I hate wiring, have a leaky gas tank, and find I don't get enough capacity out of a stock tank anyways. And all the vacuum hoses can be eshewed.

Is it worth it for the kit? Up to you.

One last thing to consider is how easy it is to get a fill. All the major gas stations carry it here, but, elsewhere is different.

Propane is a waste gas from oil refining... But, they aren't aloud to burn it for environmental reasons. They sell it literally because they can't do anything else.

I know of a couple vehicles (they're 5-ton trucks with dual tank setups, probably carry 800L of propane!) that would love to take advantage of that $80 fill.

I don't know the conversion from litres to gallons but to get the 20gal tanks for the fork trucks filled it is $30 for two. And there are about 3 places within 10min of my house. So it looks like my next big mod is propane. I guess that Rubicon 5.5" lift will just have to wait a little longer.

Depending on how long you wait.. I will have my LA set up for sale once I get my Colis overs :eek:

Could you keep me in mind when you decide to get rid of it? Who knows maybe my pockets go deeper than I think.